Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   How Can I get more Power? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429723)

David LoPan 06-17-2007 11:03 PM

How Can I get more Power?

I've been practicing...a lot.

Anyway I have a pretty crappy set of clubs but even so I'm hitting the balls very thin (interpolate for missing irons).

Driver - 225 - 250
3 - 200
5 - 175-200
Hybrid 3 - 150-175
4 iron - 165-175
6 iron - 145
8 iron - 125
PW - 100

Is it simply a matter of clubs or is there a deeper issue here. I've had a couple lessons and I think my form is ok so I just want to hit the ball harder. (I'm not a scrawny guy either by any means)

BadBoyBenny 06-19-2007 08:28 AM

Re: How Can I get more Power?

swing harder

jupiterpig 06-19-2007 08:39 AM

steroids and/or lift weights

CrazyEyez 06-19-2007 09:56 AM

Post a video of your swing.

The simplest thing is to focus on turning back further. I think about my chest pointing 180 degrees from my target.

JavaNut 06-19-2007 10:03 AM

That is more or less the distance I get [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I hit the ball very high, recently I have discovered that it might be due to my wrists getting into a motion where the club face more or less goes in an arc under the ball instead of a sideways sweep through the ball.

Had a quite few sessions during my time as a golfer, but none of the instuctors has really picked up on that. In a week or so I will begin to test this on the range, it should give a lower flight and a bit of distance.

Acein8ter 06-19-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
swing harder

[/ QUOTE ]

KotOD 06-19-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been practicing...a lot.

Anyway I have a pretty crappy set of clubs but even so I'm hitting the balls very thin (interpolate for missing irons).

Driver - 225 - 250
3 - 200
5 - 175-200
Hybrid 3 - 150-175
4 iron - 165-175
6 iron - 145
8 iron - 125
PW - 100

Is it simply a matter of clubs or is there a deeper issue here. I've had a couple lessons and I think my form is ok so I just want to hit the ball harder. (I'm not a scrawny guy either by any means)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you hitting everything straight?

SpartMan1 06-19-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you hitting everything straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Accuracy > Distance.

But if you really want more distance, I suppose just make sure you have a good complete swing...don't just swing harder. Make sure you get a good full hip turn, get the club back to parallel, and find the slot on the downswing for better impact angle.

KotOD 06-19-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Accuracy > Distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] That's why I asked. He should have no problems breaking 85 with those lengths if he's knocking everything straight. If he's off right or left -- adding power only means he's going farther right or left.

Fix the direction - then add power.

SpartMan1 06-19-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Accuracy > Distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] That's why I asked. He should have no problems breaking 85 with those lengths if he's knocking everything straight. If he's off right or left -- adding power only means he's going farther right or left.

Fix the direction - then add power.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you were working towards the point of accuracy > distance...I felt like driving it home (pun intended).

FWIW, my regular playing partner is a 6'6" beast (I'm only 5'10") who really crushes the ball. He's got a good 30-40 yards on me, but I hit the ball straighter (emphasis on 'er'), and consistently beat him by a few strokes. KotOD said it perfectly...if youre not hitting it straight, the farther you hit it, the farther off line you're going to be.

Also, a better quality set of clubs could help for constistency as well as distance.