Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What if a University Offered a Degree in Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=428472)

Daisydog 06-16-2007 01:14 AM

What if a University Offered a Degree in Poker

I noticed a quote from Chris Ferguson on the back of the Mathematics of Poker book that said, "If I ever find myself teaching a poker class for the mathematics department at UCLA, this will be the only book on the syllabus."

That got me thinking, just for fun, what if there was a University that offered a degree in poker? What would the graduation requirements be? For example:
- required courses
- elective courses
- required reading
- practical vs. theoretical study
- general vs. game specific study (which games)
- Sequencing of various courses
- Methods of instruction
- What department at a University would offer this (e.g. Math dept.)
- Who would the professors be?
- How would you be tested?

Just to be clear, I don't think this will really happen, I just thought it would be interesting to think about.

rothko 06-16-2007 02:08 AM

Re: What if a University Offered a Degree in Poker

you could get a graduate degree in poker

phydaux 06-16-2007 02:09 AM

I definitely think a bear on a unicycle could beat a lion on a pogo stick.

Just to be clear, I don't think this will really happen, I just thought it would be interesting to think about.

Gonso 06-16-2007 03:42 AM

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia.../Bear_bike.gif

The bear, duh [edit: yes I know it's not a unicycle]

Lions can't pogo stick that's just silly

Gonso 06-16-2007 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

95 percent would flunk out, and for every actual graduate 25 would claim to be graduates

LionelHutz00 06-16-2007 03:45 AM

a sample from the final exam:

23. You beat a $2/$4 no limit game online for 4.5 ptBB/100. Each table averages 90 hands per hour and your MT rate is 4.56. What is your hourly rate?

24. But how much did you lose?

SixT4 06-16-2007 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a sample from the final exam:

23. You beat a $2/$4 no limit game online for 4.5 ptBB/100. Each table averages 90 hands per hour and your MT rate is 4.56. What is your hourly rate?

24. But how much did you lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice.

Sherman 06-16-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

95 percent would flunk out, and for every actual graduate 25 would claim to be graduates

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so obviously correct.

Humble Pie 06-16-2007 01:39 PM

MCU = Mike Caro Univerisity.

mucked4u 06-16-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MCU = Mike Caro Univerisity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think it very valid if players such as Bob Ciaffone, Howard Lederer, David Sklansky etc were teaching.
There are very few qualified players that can pass on the concepts necessary to excel.
I would like in actuality to see such a course put together for an intense one week where each day a specific form was taught by the best qualified player in that form.
Monday would be Pot limit omaha . Tuesday would be pot limit holdem . Wednesday would be 0/8 etc etc etc.
Yes there are really games out there besides NL holdem that versatile players would enjoy exploring more deeply to fill their arsenal.
At the end of each day players use their skills in actual game play under the watchful eye of the instructor{s}.
Of course the week would be dedicated exclusively to live or tourney play.
I prefer live play concepts etc.
The course would be totally geared for intermediate to advanced players.
I TOTALLY disagree with the idea one needs to specialize in a specific game. The players in all forms are no where near the competent level of four to five years ago. Therefore the better well rounded one becomes the better will be his ev at every game he undertakes.
Ok enough said because with the global NL donk mentality out there, this will never transpire. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
One final note is that the poker school offerings out there right now seem mediocre at best.