Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Actors/Actresses Who Hit the Next Level, But Shouldn't Have (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=421689)

Coffee 06-06-2007 08:14 PM

Actors/Actresses Who Hit the Next Level, But Shouldn\'t Have

This is the polar opposite of the other thread.

I'll start:

Keanu Reeves

samsdmf 06-06-2007 08:21 PM

Re: Actors/Actresses Who Hit the Next Level, But Shouldn\'t Have

Nicholas Cage

I_AM_EVIL 06-06-2007 08:57 PM

Vince Vaughn
Sly Stallone
Chuck Norris
Antonio Banderas

They have no range as actors.

Blarg 06-06-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vince Vaughn
Sly Stallone
Chuck Norris
Antonio Banderas

They have no range as actors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most big stars don't. They just perfect one thing.

I agree on Banderas and especially Chuck Norris, who makes Keanu Reeves look like Montgomery Clift. Stallone definitely earned his success with Rocky, but has done poorly in almost everything else, with the exception of Rambo. Vaughn is actually quite good at what he does, so I don't really have a complaint about him. It's okay if he just does light comedies.

katyseagull 06-07-2007 12:05 AM

I can't make up my mind about Vince Vaughn. Sometimes he's good and sometimes he's just unimpressive.

katyseagull 06-07-2007 12:31 AM

I used to have this discussion with my ex boyfriend. I would tell him that Meg Ryan was overrated and he would look stunned. I never could see what was so great about her. I know, I'm in the minority.

fyodor 06-07-2007 01:10 AM

Jennifer Lopez
Demi Moore
Bruce Willis
Richard Gere
Julia Roberts

Blarg 06-07-2007 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jennifer Lopez
Demi Moore
Bruce Willis
Richard Gere
Julia Roberts

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Gere is a good actor. Julia is okay, but she did win an Oscar, didn't she? I think she has enough charm to be where she is, even though she's never been a favorite of mine. Probably mostly because I don't watch the kind of movies she makes.

MrWookie 06-07-2007 01:47 AM

Yeah, Blarg. That list is ordered in approximately decreasing deserved-ness of mention in this thread.

Coffee 06-07-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jennifer Lopez
Demi Moore
Bruce Willis
Richard Gere
Julia Roberts

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Gere is a good actor. Julia is okay, but she did win an Oscar, didn't she? I think she has enough charm to be where she is, even though she's never been a favorite of mine. Probably mostly because I don't watch the kind of movies she makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I was going to say Julia Roberts, also, but Halle Berry is far worse.

I disagree about Bruce Willis, though...I think he actually is a pretty good leading man, even if he's essentially playing a normal dude every time.

I could probably make some sort of argument along these lines about Kevin Costner, but I figured out what his talent truly is: he is better than just about anyone in Hollywood when he is not speaking. No one can quietly say nothing, do nothing, and have no visible emotion, yet be completely comfortable with himself and his performance, than Costner.