Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How bad is it for your comp to run @80% of CPU usage? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=420667)

Jehaim 06-05-2007 04:55 PM

How bad is it for your comp to run @80% of CPU usage?

I sometimes run programs which use a lot of the CPU power.

Sometimes 80% or more (maxes out to 100%) for more than 4 hours, my comp is real noisy then.

Is this bad for my comp?

If so, how bad? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

kerowo 06-05-2007 04:57 PM

Re: How bad is it for your comp to run @80% of CPU usage?

It's only bad if you have poor heat management. The noise you hear is the fans running to try and keep things cool. If the fans can't keep the under control you could over heat, but I don't know if that does anything but shut the computer down.

ICMoney 06-05-2007 05:14 PM

Like kerowo said, it's fine as long as the cpu doesn't get too hot.

When I build my computers I run my cpu at 100% for 24+ hours to ensure stability.

Jehaim 06-05-2007 05:20 PM

Ah, ok thanks.

But the noise I hear is more a KKKKRRRRRRR sound if you know what I mean, not so much my fans I think.

Anyway to see how hot my CPU is?

Otherwise Ill just keep jamming it until it shuts down. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Beavis68 06-05-2007 05:44 PM

it could be the hard drive

Jehaim 06-05-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it could be the hard drive

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, how bad is that?

kerowo 06-05-2007 06:42 PM

If it is intermitent and only when the CPU is working hard it isn't the hard drive. I'm fairly sure they only have two speeds, on and off. Try shutting down the computer, opening the case, and starting it back up. If you get the noise again it will be easier to find, if you don't when the CPU is working it's another indication it's is heat management.

tvta 06-05-2007 07:30 PM

when you start up your comp, go to bios/setup screen. somewhere (im not sure exactly where it is, somewhere under cpu) it will show you the exact temperature of your CPU. if it is around 75-80C for its idle temperature, then your fans/heatsink need work. btw these temperatures can fry your processor. if that is the case, simply open up the comp and clean out the heatsink and fans of dust. this fixed my processor problems instantly.

Jehaim 06-05-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is intermitent and only when the CPU is working hard it isn't the hard drive. I'm fairly sure they only have two speeds, on and off. Try shutting down the computer, opening the case, and starting it back up. If you get the noise again it will be easier to find, if you don't when the CPU is working it's another indication it's is heat management.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I´m convinced its heat management. Tyvm.

Jehaim 06-05-2007 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you start up your comp, go to bios/setup screen. somewhere (im not sure exactly where it is, somewhere under cpu) it will show you the exact temperature of your CPU. if it is around 75-80C for its idle temperature, then your fans/heatsink need work. btw these temperatures can fry your processor. if that is the case, simply open up the comp and clean out the heatsink and fans of dust. this fixed my processor problems instantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, ty, will check that later.