Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Using rubber gloves when working with components? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=419768)

b0000000000m 06-04-2007 05:39 PM

Using rubber gloves when working with components?

I'm about to assemble my own computer. I'm worried about static ruining some components.

If I wear rubber (latex or nitrile) gloves, will this decrease the chances of a static discharge when I'm handling the components? Is there any reason it would be bad to wear gloves?

LeapFrog 06-04-2007 05:41 PM

Re: Using rubber gloves when working with components?

Your best bet is to pickup a EDS wrist strap. They are cheap.

Chrisman886 06-04-2007 05:43 PM

I wouldn't do that. I've put together many computers and I just stick the box on a wooden table and don't stand on carpet. Touch the power supply before working each time so you don't fry components. Wearing gloves is not necessary.

jumbojacks 06-04-2007 06:22 PM

EDS wrist strap if you're paranoid. I've put together tens of systems by hand and I've actually never used one. Most components these days are resilient enough to even small amounts of static discharge.

LeapFrog 06-04-2007 06:28 PM

ESD wrist strap that is (typo) -- anyways they are like 3 bucks...

LuckyTxGuy 06-05-2007 12:03 AM

Agree with the wrist strap......even though I've got one in my tool box and never put it on my wrist. Oh and I've build several computers by spreading everything out on the carpet in my living room! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Back when TechTV was still around (oh how miss TechTV!!), on one of the Screen Savers episodes Kevin Rose, Leo Laporte and Yoshi, the resident extreme moder, were talking about building pc's. They all admitted they never used any sort of anti-static devices such as wrist straps. But then they were quick to say that you should if you felt unsure about it because as soon as they told you not to, you'd fry a part.lol It sure can't hurt anything, so go get that wrist strap today!

CT11 06-05-2007 12:14 AM

plastic/rubber/latex gloves would be bad because they do not conduct electricity so if a static change were to build up it would only be able to dissipate the static change through your components. Its true now days SOME parts are robust to ESD but that is no reason to take any chances, though I'll admit I don't use my wrist stap either.

but I do touch the bare metal of the case each time before I touch anything else! This only helps if the powersupply <font color="red">IS</font> plugged into the wall providing a path to ground.

I used to be an electrical engineer so please believe me. I've heard too many people swear to me that they have never fried a component from ESD but they get defective parts more often then the rest of us. my guess? The parts were fine but they just broke them. A part that was broken because of ESD will have no visible signs of damage.

CORed 06-05-2007 12:16 AM

Actually, I think rubber gloves might make it worse. Ever rub a balloon against your shirt and then stick it to a wall by static charge? Rubber doesn't conduct electricity, but it can pick up a static charge pretty easily. If you ground your self, either with the wrist strap or by touching the frame of you case before handling parts, and avoid scuffing your feet on the carpet (or work barefoot), you should be fine.

CT11 06-05-2007 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...or work barefoot), you should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I work naked. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
(ok not really)

CORed 06-05-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...or work barefoot), you should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I work naked. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
(ok not really)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics?

Assuming that you are a young attractive female, that is. Otherwise, never mind.