Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   limit hold em books...... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=418205)

ocularus 06-02-2007 05:43 PM

limit hold em books......

I play low limit hold em as I am relatively new to the cash games side of hold em. And I have been wondering what books are recommended for such games. I have read low limit hold em and small stakes hold em, and learned alot about the game and how it "should" be played. Anyway any input would be appreciated.
-John

Niediam 06-02-2007 06:14 PM

Re: limit hold em books......

Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker
Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
Internet Texas Hold'em
How Good Is Your Limit Hold'em?
Super System II

However your best bet is probably to read SSH another 15 times or so.

ocularus 06-02-2007 07:48 PM

alright sounds good! I appreciate the help! And for what it's worth I grew up in Michigan....haha great state.
-John

ChuckyB 06-03-2007 04:06 PM

For low limits, also pick up "Hold'em On the Come". Great book all about drawing hands.

Bigka79 06-03-2007 05:14 PM

Theory of poker, and SSH over and over and over

also championship hold em from tj cloutier isnt bad it will help you to play tight

Gelford 06-03-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also championship hold em from tj cloutier isnt bad it will help you to play tight

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF ???

villainy 06-04-2007 02:34 AM

I see it a little differently. I think these 2 books
and a lot of careful study, rereading ect.
1. Hold'em for Advanced Players
2. Winning in Tough Hold'em Games
Read, Reread, Study these two books and you are on your
way to becoming a first class limit player.
(These 2 books complement each other)

Yossarian147 06-04-2007 03:14 AM

Those are both excellent books of course but to someone new to limit hold em they're a waste of time. You need to play in much tougher games before strategies in those books becomes correct.

[ QUOTE ]
I see it a little differently. I think these 2 books
and a lot of careful study, rereading ect.
1. Hold'em for Advanced Players
2. Winning in Tough Hold'em Games
Read, Reread, Study these two books and you are on your
way to becoming a first class limit player.
(These 2 books complement each other)

[/ QUOTE ]

ocularus 06-05-2007 11:16 AM

So I was wondering if I could get a few people that have had some experience "coaching" new limit players. I have only been playing for 3 years with the intent of winning.(before that it was purely entertainment) Give me some advice on books to read, that are geared towards a relatively new player playing in loose low limit games. Winning Low Limit Hold'em and Small Stakes Hold'em have helpped immensely and I have been learning alot through disecting my play after I leave each table. Anyway I have had a lot of suggestions about books can anyone speak to the 1 or 2 books that would help the most? I have been thinking Theory of poker and poker for advanced players. But I am not sure if they are to advanced for the games I'll be in as Yossarian suggested. Thanks alot for all the help everyone!!!!! The advice is greatly appreciated.
-John

Adman 06-05-2007 11:26 AM

Small stakes hold em is the limit bible. It is so far ahead of anything else available it is not funny. Your best bet is to read and re-read that book until you know it off by heart. There is no other book available that is more important to the limit hold em player who is not very, very advanced. That includes books like Hold em for advanced players and Stox's new book. (Actually Hold 'em for advanced players is virtually obsolete now and some of the advice given for loose games and shorthanded play is very questionable).

Having said that, some other very good limit books for beginning/ intermediate players are: Internet Texas hold 'em by Matthew Hilger and Winning Texas hold 'em by Matt Maroon.

SSHE and ITH are probably the two best books to really sink your teeth into if you are an intermediate limit player looking to improve. I wouldn't bother with Theory of poker or Hold 'em for advanced players. For what you want the two books I mentioned are your best bet.