Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Reviewing HHs after your matches (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=415808)

Indiana 05-30-2007 05:28 PM

Reviewing HHs after your matches

So I was unable to sleep last night and stayed up through the night reviewing HHs from sessions where I thought I had run bad due to variance. After combing through like 100 matches I realized that I had in truth been spewing. This exercise was like a revelation to me. I hadn't spent a lot of time in my poker career doing this but wow, just wow it is really exhilirating to see how you play after a losing session. Its usually not just bad beats and stuff, but rather, your spewing and playing bad.

I'm curious, do the pros here spend a lot of time reviewing their own HHs after sessions? I cannot personally think of a better way to improve.

Indy

Indiana 05-30-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Reviewing HHs after your matches

by the way, i find that is important to create a file with all the hands that you don't understand what went wrong from all of your HHs. Naturally, posting whole HHS out here or whatever isnt productive, but putting together a file for your coach to review or to post is useful for me. Any other tips/tricks for self-review would be good to know.

GeorgiaPoker 05-30-2007 06:09 PM

What do you use to review HH? I downloaded the trial of SNG Wizard and I am using that currently.

citanul 05-30-2007 06:11 PM

indi,

some may disagree with this, but i think the lower on the learning curve you are relative to your opponents and whatnot, the greater the % of your total poker time should be spent studying. and yes, studying includes looking over your own hands.

once you're good, and have played a lot, and studied a lot, chances are that you know when you close your eyes at the end of the session (or earlier) when you [censored] up. most pros still go over hand histories, as far as i know, to see not only if they made any obvious mistakes, but if they can find spots where they missed anything not so huge.

i'm pretty sure that newt, for one, was a meticulous reviewer of his games, and continues to do so even now that i don't think he plays stts any more.

anyway, i could probably write a chapter of a book (lol) about reviewing your own play. but i have a final exam to tend to, so maybe later.

Indiana 05-30-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you use to review HH? I downloaded the trial of SNG Wizard and I am using that currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know this will sound horrible, but i read every line manually with no software....

Indiana 05-30-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
indi,

some may disagree with this, but i think the lower on the learning curve you are relative to your opponents and whatnot, the greater the % of your total poker time should be spent studying. and yes, studying includes looking over your own hands.

once you're good, and have played a lot, and studied a lot, chances are that you know when you close your eyes at the end of the session (or earlier) when you [censored] up. most pros still go over hand histories, as far as i know, to see not only if they made any obvious mistakes, but if they can find spots where they missed anything not so huge.

i'm pretty sure that newt, for one, was a meticulous reviewer of his games, and continues to do so even now that i don't think he plays stts any more.

anyway, i could probably write a chapter of a book (lol) about reviewing your own play. but i have a final exam to tend to, so maybe later.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul,

i would love to hear more. i am old school and just read line by line and pay people to answer the questions that i dont understand and/or just ship them HHs and talk about them over the phone for pay. am i inefficient?

BradleyT 05-30-2007 07:22 PM

You should try SnGWiz. I never bothered with it until early this week when I found out it had a 30 day trial. Once you watch the demo video on the website to figure out the UI it's very fast to review an entire folder of tournies.

The Yugoslavian 05-30-2007 07:22 PM

cit,

Please write said chapter and forward to me for editing.

kthx

Yugoslav

PattdownManiac 05-31-2007 01:09 AM

I use popopop player after every session.

Oasis88 05-31-2007 04:41 AM

I was going to make a thread asking this also.

I would really like to here some more in depth step-by-step instructions on some effective ways to analyse my games.