Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   NL100: Aggressive play got me into trouble. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=414417)

slickss 05-29-2007 03:30 AM

NL100: Aggressive play got me into trouble.

Button is 35/9 now, but I had few hands on him when this hand went down.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $102.35
UTG+1: $109.45
CO: $83.10
Button: $149.45
Hero: $114.10
BB: $147.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $4</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $17</font>, 3 folds, Button calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($43, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $26</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($95, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $23</font>

PREFLOP: I think my preflop raise is fine. There was a lot of money in the pot and with 2 callers I figured the chances were good that no one had a hand that could play back at me. In retrospect I think my raise should've been bigger, maybe $22?

I got called by the button who also called the $4 raise, and my range on him preflop is a low-medium pocket pair.

FLOP: I bet carefully on the flop, figuring I wouldn't have to bet much to get him off his hand if he missed.

TURN: He just called my flop bet, which I think screams flopped set. Maybe TT.

How much do you hate my line? His small turn bet looks a bit weak. My question is if you think I could get him off any hand with CRAI?

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 03:35 AM

Re: NL100: Aggressive play got me into trouble.

I dont like the 3-bet from the SB.

As played I'm c/fing the flop. Betting a flop like that is giving money away. His turn bet screams value which just reaffirms what I already knew, which is that you are way behind here and playing a reraised pot OOP.

cakewalk 05-29-2007 03:38 AM

i raise like 24/26 here if i'm going to squeeze.

2nd cold caller called you, idk what to think, bet more on the flop. definitely pitch the turn without a read. weird hand .

slickss 05-29-2007 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As played I'm c/fing the flop. Betting a flop like that is giving money away.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really don't think there is any value in c-betting here? I expect to see a reasonable player fold here unless he hit something.

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As played I'm c/fing the flop. Betting a flop like that is giving money away.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really don't think there is any value in c-betting here? I expect to see a reasonable player fold here unless he hit something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with that board. If the flop came like K52 rainbow or something I would probably make a much larger c-bet. Try to think of a hand that he would call the 3-bet with but fold to your half PSB on the flop.

slickss 05-29-2007 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not with that board. If the flop came like K52 rainbow or something I would probably make a much larger c-bet. Try to think of a hand that he would call the 3-bet with but fold to your half PSB on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I said, low-medium pocket pair: 22-77. However, with the stats that I got on him later (35/9), his range is bigger obviously.

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 03:56 AM

I dont know, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me like there is so much of his range that is ahead of yours on that flop that c-betting what amounts to a value bet sized bluff, and is almost always being called, is a bad idea.

loveminuszero 05-29-2007 04:00 AM

flat-call preflop (hate the raise), check-fold flop

Toyboy 05-29-2007 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
flat-call preflop (hate the raise), check-fold flop

[/ QUOTE ]

What about folding pf? I think it's close... Particularly against unknowns.

SammyKid11 05-29-2007 07:39 AM

I'm not wild about the pfr either. It's not a play I'd make often. But if you're going to do it, at least raise more (I'd make it the very least 22).

Also, to the poster just above, I think you do really have to call here, even out of position. A8s is a hand that gets you in for a stack-off when you hit a flush or trip 8's or 2-pair against AK. And with this much preflop action, it becomes VERY likely that when you hit big, you win big.