Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Strat Theory Post - light 3-better (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=412353)

MyironThumb 05-26-2007 08:01 AM

Strat Theory Post - light 3-better

Hey, I just wondered whats people thoughts on this situation. I think I play pretty bad in re raised pots and I am trying to sort that out so I am just running through a few thoughts. This is probably easy stuff though..

Say its folded round to you and you decided make a standard raise, then a tag/lagish re pops you. He has posistion on you and you know that his 3 betting range is pretty light. I.e somthing like 77+, A10+, KQs, 10Js, possibly 910,89s. first of all, regardless of your hand, how often do you think its correct to play back at them and make a 4-bet. do you think its too high varience to start 4betting/shoving with any 2 because you think he is weak? Or if your hand is above his range, does anyone call and try play pokerr. Or is this just bad play to be calling a 3bet OOP.

for example, its folded around to you in the cut off and you have AQ, you make a standard raise and the button 3 bets you. his range for 3 betting is somthing like yours,(like 77+, A10+, KQs, 10Js, possibly 910,89s maybe?) what % of time are people folding, calling, 4-betting?

Also how does your %'s change when you have posistion on him. say you open from cut off and he re pops from the SB. is calling best here?

thanks. sorry its tl;dr lol

lucky_mf 05-26-2007 08:33 AM

Re: Strat Theory Post - light 3-better

I tighten up my opening standards and start 4-betting (not necessarily 4-bet pushing) or I change tables. I don't really like calling very much OOP but I will do so with a pair sometimes the intent of check-raising the flop occasionally. I really don't like just calling in position either, the reason being is that I'm going to miss a lot of flops and he is going to bet 90% of the time. This leaves me making a play for a lot of chips or folding, neither of which is a particularly attractive option. I will call with hands like TT and JJ though and hope for a low card flop.

Lucky

MyironThumb 05-26-2007 09:14 AM

Cheers lucky, some good advice

[ QUOTE ]

or I change tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably what I should just be doing. with a light 3 better on my left this is probably the correct thing to do.

What sort of flop are you looking to be c/r'ing with if you do call with a pp, and dont hit your set? I dont really do this much

K䲰䮥n 05-26-2007 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will call with hands like TT and JJ though and hope for a high card flop so that I can dump my TT/JJ instead of going broke against QQ+ all the [censored] time god damnit, show me some mercy PP!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

K䲰䮥n 05-26-2007 09:17 AM

n/m

ValarMorghulis 05-26-2007 10:26 AM

"Change tables"
I hate this advice. I'd prefer to learn to play poker better rather than avoiding situations I don't like. If the table is good in other spots you should be able to handle a tough opponent even if he is on your left. Plus, if you want to move up you should learn to beat tough opponents at your present limit.

3betting that range is not that light. 77+, A10+, KQs, 10Js, possibly 910,89s. It's only 13% of hands. If you only get 3bet 13% of the time you are probably winning the blinds most of the other times. One thing is to realise that you're not losing money by folding most of the time to 3bets. So fold most of the time.

I mix up calling and 4betting both with premiums and with other types of hands. But there should be a heavy weighting of premiums because you don't want to end up in a big pot with trash too often.

orange 05-26-2007 01:28 PM

call and shove nice flops with any sort of draw (ie. gutshot + BDFD and an over or something like that). ie. AK[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on a T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board or something like that. or like A5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or whatever.

cbloom 05-26-2007 01:43 PM

In 3bet pots, both of you will often have roughly the same hand, eg. you might both have something like AK that whiffed, or you might both have mid pairs when there's one over. Neither of you have a big hand and whoever makes a stronger move will take it. The 3better will have the lead and cbet, so you want to either float or shove a lot.

BGnight 05-26-2007 01:52 PM

"for example, its folded around to you in the cut off and you have AQ, you make a standard raise and the button 3 bets you. his range for 3 betting is somthing like yours,(like 77+, A10+, KQs, 10Js, possibly 910,89s maybe?) what % of time are people folding, calling, 4-betting?"

lol, I just posted this scenario in the cheese thread. So, my question is we decide to 4bet cuz we're OOP and want to take it down now but he 5bet shoves. Do we ever call here? Does this just depend on our history and if we think underpairs are a big part of his range? What other factors go into a decision here?

orange 05-26-2007 02:47 PM

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $54.80
BB: $200.00
UTG: $105.10
MP: $348.45
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $218.95</font>
BTN: $234.15

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8.00</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $26.00</font>, Hero calls $18.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($53) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $40.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $100.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises all-in to $174.00</font>, Hero calls $74.00

stuff like this.