Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Pierogies and snow- What's your line? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=409897)

bones 05-23-2007 05:06 AM

Pierogies and snow- What\'s your line?

Caesars Saturday $330 tournament.

First hour, table is 8 handed. Two gentlemen at my table have been speaking back and forth in French. They've been warned a couple of times by the dealer about English only and don't seem to be taking it seriously.

Hand develops where I check-raise the flop and lead turn in a big pot against one of the French guys. I say "2700", count my chips out, and place them out in front of me. The dealer announces my bet, and as I look down, I hear a string of French phrases going back and forth. I look up at the dealer who says nothing. "What the [censored], man?"

Okay, not the best response. But obviously I don't want them speaking in the middle of a hand in a foreign language. Someone else at the table who speaks French (over half the table spoke french...) says that they were just confirming the bet amounts to each other.

Now I really want him to fold here, but I don't want to make enough of a scene where it's obvious I want him to fold. What's the proper course of action in this case?

EL Burro Loco 05-23-2007 05:54 AM

Re: Pierogies and snow- What\'s your line?

In the middle of the hand... well if you want him to fold keep your mouth shut. After the hand one of my favorite lines is, "if you guys want to play together that cool but he has to sit in your lap. One player to a chair right?"

Photoc 05-23-2007 02:00 PM

How about just calling the floor over and let them handle it since the dealer obviously has no balls to call the floor?

*TT* 05-23-2007 02:01 PM

French. Pierogies and snow. I don't get the relationship here.

SplawnDarts 05-23-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
French. Pierogies and snow. I don't get the relationship here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rounders, when worm's playing the russian mob guys

Worm: You wanna see the seventh card, stop speaking [censored] sputnik! I'm sure you guys were talking about pirogies and snow but let's cut that out.

mattw 05-23-2007 04:48 PM

splawndarts is correct. its a good scene.

malo 05-23-2007 07:36 PM

Pirogies are a Russian pastry stuffed with a filling, meat or what not. They are popular and snow is common in Russia, so there you go......

http://www.justcaviar.com/servlet/th...STUFFED/Detail

EL Burro Loco 05-24-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about just calling the floor over and let them handle it since the dealer obviously has no balls to call the floor?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a solution as well obv. but i like to try and joke around at first to keep the game friendly. Usually after you make a joke the dealer will open their mouth.

Al_Capone_Junior 05-24-2007 05:25 AM

After having been warned multiple times I would be calling the floor wanting their hand to be declared dead.

I've seen this before on multiple occasions. Once a player who was not vietnamese (but spoke it fluently) played dumb for a while, then revealed they knew the language, and that the offending players were in fact talking all about the hands in play. On another occasion a floor killed a player's hand for speaking spanish because he had been warned several times and refused to comply . If there is no consequence for speaking a foreign language during a hand, then why have the rule? Screw 'em, dead hand.

Al

govman6767 05-24-2007 09:27 AM

Thought you were talking about that Informer song by Snow