Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Pumpkins! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407063)

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-19-2007 01:59 PM

New Pumpkins!

Alright, so I'm sure it's been discussed before, but the Smashing Pumpkins have (half-) rejoined and the new album, Zeitgeist is out 7/7/07.

Anyway, you can listen to the new single, Tarantula, here.

I'm not going to lie - it didn't knock me off my feet when I first heard it. The vocals are poorly mixed and it's definitely not Siamese Dream or MCIS quality Pumpkins anyway, but it's still exciting to have some more music in the style of the Pumpkins. It's definitely Pumpkins, and not Zwan, although it's just as sure more Friends & Enemies of Modern Music than Siamese Dream or MCIS. I'm disappointed they couldn't get Iha back on guitar, but the core of the Pumpkins has always been Billy and Jimmy and they seem to be bonded together for life.

backspin2 05-19-2007 02:06 PM

Re: New Pumpkins!

I think it comes out 7/10/07 in the U.S.

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-19-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it comes out 7/10/07 in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that'd be the tuesday, but I thought they're making a special release on 7/7/07. I remember when it was announced, because I've got something else going on that day and it makes it even better - and of course that it's 777.

roxxorzjoo 05-19-2007 02:10 PM

Maaaan, I was expecting some sort of amazing mutant pumpkin I can butcher on Halloween.

DarkForceRising 05-19-2007 02:11 PM

Even though it isn't Iha that guitar work is still good. I like that scrapy-sounding riff. Awesome drumming as always. Nice breakdown toward the end of the song, classic Pumpkins move. But, yeah, the vocals are poor and there just seems to be that special 'something' missing.

If this article is right, the new bass player is Ginger Reyes. For touring purposes, anyway. Acceptable Melissa eye-candy replacement.

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-19-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though it isn't Iha that guitar work is still good. I like that scrapy-sounding riff. Awesome drumming as always. Nice breakdown toward the end of the song, classic Pumpkins move. But, yeah, the vocals are poor and there just seems to be that special 'something' missing.

Who's on guitar and bass, anyway? I didn't see that listed.

[/ QUOTE ]
It looks like the 7/7/07 date might be just a digital release date and the hard copy is actually not coming out until 7/10/07. I'm not sure who's on guitar and base, just that it's not James and Melissa and for sure as hell not D'Arcy. I wouldn't be surprised if Billy just recorded all the guitar work himself.

4 High 05-19-2007 02:29 PM

How the hell did they not get Iha back? Whats he doing?

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-19-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell did they not get Iha back? Whats he doing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've lost track. Is he still with A Perfect Circle? Is A Perfect Circle still together? I know he's working on another solo album.

marchron 05-19-2007 02:55 PM

APC is basically done, though nobody's nailed the coffin shut. Everybody has side stuff going on that will take forever. Iha is doing another solo album.

By-Tor 05-19-2007 03:31 PM

i heard on the radio that on their current (upcoming?) tour, the pumpkins are not only allowing the use of video & audio recorders, but encouraging it.

seems pretty cool