Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How much to buy in for a limit game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406037)

kassdog 05-18-2007 02:11 AM

How much to buy in for a limit game

I've been playing no limit a lot live and would like to take shots at limit. I've never played limit before and would like to learn it. What is the normal buy in at a limit game. It will be majestic star in gary indiana 3/6 i think is the lowest limit they have.

otter 05-18-2007 02:20 AM

Re: How much to buy in for a limit game

I usually buyin for 100x the sb. It can be intimidating to others if you have so many chips. I remember playing in home games years and years ago and when a new player arrived they made that comment. Ever since then I make sure to have a lot of chips on the table in a limit game

kassdog 05-18-2007 02:29 AM

Oh and this is holdem not stud.

Neuge 05-18-2007 03:14 AM

At CAZ the standard buy in for a 3/6 game is $100. The games are really loose-passive, rarely going over 2 bets on any street (except on weekends when the lagtard amateurs are out). If the game was really aggressive I'd probably buy in for up to $200, with maybe $300 if most pots were 6-way capped on most streets. I normally bring more with me and reload as appropriate.

It's mostly dependent on how aggressive the game is and how much you can lose in one hand. You want to have enough where you can lose 2 big pots (for the game) and still have enough to optimally play the next hand without missing value because you don't have enough money on the table.

Yossarian147 05-18-2007 03:17 AM

That's only 25 big bets though, pretty standard imo. It is usually what I buy in for myself.

[ QUOTE ]
I usually buyin for 100x the sb. It can be intimidating to others if you have so many chips. I remember playing in home games years and years ago and when a new player arrived they made that comment. Ever since then I make sure to have a lot of chips on the table in a limit game

[/ QUOTE ]

Distillery 05-18-2007 04:17 AM

I always buy in for 25 big bets and reloads as soon as I have less than 12 big bets (the maximum you can lose on a round).

PrimogenitoX 05-18-2007 05:09 AM

I always buy in for about $10K while waiting for my NL seat

thesilkworm 05-18-2007 05:20 AM

I like to buyin for 50 big bets. I think it affects me psychologically if I have to reload, so I buy in big to avoid it.

The standard buyin is generally 25 big bets.

DrMega 05-18-2007 07:55 AM

FWIW, I was just having this discussion at the tables tonight. I was generally buying in for $400 at a 6/12 game and noticed everyone commenting on it when I sat down. I asked some other regulars and they said they only bought in at $200, then another fellow who I respect commented that lots of chips on the table attract more action from passersby who may otherwise choose a different table. He said he picked that tip up from Phil H. back in his starting days around here (Madison, Wis.).

Mike Gallo 05-18-2007 09:14 AM

Buy in for $1000 in dollar chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

This will intimidate and annoy your table at the same time.

Only kidding.

Buy in for 50 big bets, $300.00