Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Where can I learn more about Xs and Os? (NFL) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405266)

WhoIam 05-17-2007 06:56 AM

Where can I learn more about Xs and Os? (NFL)

I never really got into watching football as a kid and never played played the game outside of gym class. When I went to Pitt I got sucked into the football hysteria that permeates Pittsburgh. I realized how complex the game was and started passively absorbing information on its strategy and tactics from the in-game analysts and eventually lurking on a message board where most of the posters know a LOT about football. I have an above-average understanding of the game, but I'm still not sure what people mean when they refer to certain exotic packages or what the standard strategy is certain situations. Can anyone recommend a resource, either in print or on the web where I can learn more about this stuff?

MacGuyV 05-17-2007 10:15 AM

Re: Where can I learn more about Xs and Os? (NFL)

I highly recommend "Edge NFL Matchup" which airs at odd times on espn during the season. They have coaches tape and coaches actually watch the show. Almost everything else on tv is crap, so you have to look to other avenues to learn.

Triumph36 05-17-2007 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend "Edge NFL Matchup" which airs at odd times on espn during the season. They have coaches tape and coaches actually watch the show. Almost everything else on tv is crap, so you have to look to other avenues to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope this is still on next year - didn't Jaws get a better job for next season (isn't he replacing Thiesmann?)

rafiki 05-17-2007 10:20 AM

If you're ok with spending 30$, there are some GREAT books. I dunno where you live, but in Canada our chapters stores have them. You can actually just go read them in the store with a coffee. The scary thing is you think the game is complex now, when you read a few pages, it'll scare you just how chess like it is. And the fact that tight ends and linebackers are becoming as mobile as receivers/corners from 30 years ago is really scary. The game still has so much potential evolution given the physical potential these players now have.

Colt McCoy 05-17-2007 10:30 AM

This Wikipedia article describes things like the differences between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense, Tampa 2, Nickel and Dime packages, West Coast Offense, etc.

Fallen Hero 05-17-2007 10:35 AM

I'm surprised no one said footballousiders.com yet

TheNoodleMan 05-17-2007 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're ok with spending 30$, there are some GREAT books. I dunno where you live, but in Canada our chapters stores have them. You can actually just go read them in the store with a coffee. The scary thing is you think the game is complex now, when you read a few pages, it'll scare you just how chess like it is. And the fact that tight ends and linebackers are becoming as mobile as receivers/corners from 30 years ago is really scary. The game still has so much potential evolution given the physical potential these players now have.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, name a book.

Your post basically explained the concept of a bookstore.

rafiki 05-17-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, name a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking my word on book availability isn't good enough ?

I found the "football for dummies" was actually decent. There's also about half a dozen books in my bookstore that are as specialized as just being about defense, or just being about offense. Hence why going to the bookstore and just pulling a bunch of the shelf will give OP a chance to learn as much or as little as he wants...

Karak567 05-17-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, name a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl i was thinking the same thing

rafiki 05-17-2007 11:39 AM

lol how is suggesting that someone take the time to go to their local bookstore wrong ? A lot of people may not actually know that these stores carry said books. it's usually the first place I'd go.