Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   cold callers driving me nuts. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=40478)

bigalt 02-18-2006 09:08 PM

cold callers driving me nuts.

I've been really stuck with what to do about people calling behind me, playing the hand as the aggressor OOP.

Example:

Hero has ATo in MP.

preflop:
EP folds, Hero RAISES, CO folds, Button calls, blinds fold.

Flop: J 6 2 rainbow
Hero BETS, Button calls

Turn: 5
Hero ???

I am running into this situation a LOT at the baby limits I've been playing. What kinds of villain tendencies would encourage you to take what line?

are our only two decisions bet/fold and check/fold?

MrWookie 02-18-2006 09:26 PM

Re: cold callers driving me nuts.

Bet.

SparkyDog 02-18-2006 09:33 PM

Against a lot of these guys the action can go bet/call, bet/call, check/check and you'll win. So keep up the pressure if you have this guy pegged as a v. loose chaser. One thing I do is run pokerstove while I play, and narrow down his holding and run simulations as the board develops. You can't do this multitabling, but it helps you get a feel for your hand's value.

Buck_65 02-18-2006 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you check, you're basically saying "I give up" and your opponent will just take the pot from you. Many players peel on the flop and then fold to a follow up turn bet. If you're called on the turn, then it is time to give up (unless you spike an A/T of course, in which case you bet again).

Dagger78 02-18-2006 10:02 PM

This ragged of a board makes me think he's just peeling one. Right or wrong, I generally bet the turn here.

ShakeZula06 02-18-2006 10:08 PM

fire another bullet. You'll be suprised at how often your ahead here at the low limits. Lots of peeling the turn then folding UI. b/f, works much better w/ position though.

ArturiusX 02-18-2006 10:10 PM

ezy bet homie

MrWookie 02-18-2006 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you check, you're basically saying "I give up" and your opponent will just take the pot from you. Many players peel on the flop and then fold to a follow up turn bet. If you're called on the turn, then it is time to give up (unless you spike an A/T of course, in which case you bet again).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just this, but there's also a very good chance you have the best hand.

bigalt 02-18-2006 11:05 PM

after posting i realized that it's after a river brick that I'm more stumped.

Seems like everyone likes a bet/fold check/fold line from the turn. Would a more draw-y board mean we have to decide whether to bet the river again or check/call?

e.g:
J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Barrin6 02-18-2006 11:53 PM

I always run into these situations alot too. I tend to bet after a pf raise which results in an AF of 4. I would keep firing and pray for a fold, but it won't happen. Here's another reason why betting through is just ugly sometimes. I should had folded on the turn raise
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB