Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Bowflex Sport? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403732)

samjjones 05-15-2007 01:19 PM

Bowflex Sport?

Just got an Amazon e-mail for $200 off on the Bowflex Sport ($599 total).

I am way out of shape, work long hours (6am-7pm), and am exhausted when I get home. Also have wife and two month old baby.

Having this thing set up in my basement might be the kick in the ass I need, since I absolutely have no time to drive back and forth to a gym. Also, if its easy to use (no stripping weights to bars, etc., safe to work out on alone), maybe I can convince my wife to give it a shot.

For anybody who owns/has worked on on these things, is it worth $600?

thirddan 05-15-2007 01:25 PM

Re: Bowflex Sport?

you would probably be better off getting power block dumbbells or something like that...but anything is better than nothing...

samjjones 05-15-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you would probably be better off getting power block dumbbells or something like that...but anything is better than nothing...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done the bench and dumbbells routine in the past, and while its good for most chest/arm/shoulder exercises at home, it really doesn't help with legs. Also, I love doing lat pulldowns and cable crossovers. I also had UCL surgery on my thumb last year and lost a lot of grip strength, so I'm rather worried about lifting free weights without a spotter.

I'm 32 and starting to break down, so I'm not necessarily looking to add a ton of muscle mass rather than burn off the excess flab and shape what I already have.

Just trying to find out if this thing is legit or not. The lack of negative resistance would seem to be an issue, no?

einbert 05-15-2007 01:38 PM

If you are more concerned with burning off fat, you don't really need any equipment besides a chair (or better yet, a box that's between 4" and 10" high). Do bodyweight TABATA squats until you can't do any more. It's repetitive and boring, but it will help you to best accomplish your goals.

thirddan 05-15-2007 01:38 PM

there are plenty of ways to work the legs with dumbells...

1C5 05-15-2007 02:31 PM

1. Squat Rack
2. Bench
3. Barbells
4. Get strong

Much better IMO.

Rootabager 05-15-2007 03:50 PM

Those sweet towers that have pull up bar on one side and a dip bar on the other are great. They are like 99 dollars.

for 600 bucks you can get a ton of sweet stuff besides bowflex. If you have the room.

zer0 05-15-2007 04:28 PM

i say go for it. its simple, convenient, and you dont have to bother others.

like you said, its something to get you active, if even for 1/2 hour a few times per week.

Queensgrad 05-15-2007 07:40 PM

I am interested in a bowflex at home as well. We dont have a finished basement and dropping DBs on 100yr old hardwood isnt an option. Anyone have opinions on the various bowflex models? ultimate vs extreme or whatever.

guids 05-15-2007 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am interested in a bowflex at home as well. We dont have a finished basement and dropping DBs on 100yr old hardwood isnt an option. Anyone have opinions on the various bowflex models? ultimate vs extreme or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant think of any better place to workout than an unfinished basement.