Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The History of SNG's (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398010)

PattdownManiac 05-08-2007 02:29 AM

The History of SNG\'s

I was reading in this month's Poker Pages magazine (which is a useless rag) and the manager of Hawiian (how do you spell hawiian) was talking a big game about how he invented sng's there and then party poker copied him like 4 years ago. And I was like what? How can you invent a one table tournament. It's not that creative.

But then I started thinking how long have sng's been online? Was party really the first? Did Paradise have them back when it was big? Did H-word Gardens really invent sng's?

DeuceSeven 05-08-2007 04:28 AM

Re: The History of SNG\'s

I believe sngs sprang up from satellites. Satellites I'm assuming became popular as a cheap way to get into big buy in mtts.

Klinzmann 05-08-2007 06:44 AM

Who used the term "Sit and Go" for STTs first?

emb 05-08-2007 07:09 AM

Was he claiming to have invented Sit'n'Gos or one table tournaments? They are two different things (albeit often combined).

emb

BillytheKidd 05-08-2007 12:08 PM

They also "invented" the "double shootout" sng and "20BB buyin NL-holdem"

Irieguy 05-08-2007 12:50 PM

One table tournaments where the tournament starts after the table is full have been going since at least the 70's. I don't know who invented them, but the first "real" SNG was likely to be a one-table satellite for a WSOP event and in that case it was probably Benny Binion who organized the first proper SNG... or more likely, Doyle, Slim, Puggy, Johnny, et al said "hey let's all put up $1K and play a shoot-out for the tournament entry."

The first time I played a live one-table tournament was at the Normandie Club in 1989.

Online, my first memory of playing one-table tournaments was on Paradise Poker in 2000. They were all limit holdem.

Party Poker was the first site I remember hosting no-limit one-table tournaments, and PokerStars is the first site I remember naming such a tournament a "sit and go."

So, no, Hawaiian Gardens did not invent SNGs.

Irieguy

StregaChess 05-08-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's nothing, Al Gore invented the internet.

Slim Pickens 05-08-2007 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's nothing, Al Gore invented the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched a friend of mine get a free meal in a truck stop by convincing the waitress he invented Texas Toast.

fluorescenthippo 05-08-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who used the term "Sit and Go" for STTs first?

[/ QUOTE ]

i complete idiot. you dont sit and go. you sit and wait for it to fill up then go. in a cash game you sit and go. i was confused for weeks when i started playing and jman told me to play sit and gos.

Indiana 05-08-2007 01:22 PM

H-gardens didn't invent SNGs, but they did invent the worst bad beats known to man. That place is the bad beat capital of the world. On an interesting note, I did hit the bad beat jackpot there for 30K 3 weeks ago when I shoved my 77 against AA and the board was 77AJJ.

Indy