Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Be a millionaire but take this low-paying job, please. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395650)

private joker 05-04-2007 05:22 PM

Be a millionaire but take this low-paying job, please.

A discussion over some beers at lunch with colleagues generated this hypothetical:

There was a story about a Wall Street trader who retired after making like $100 million, and moved to Long Island to be a train conductor, where he's worked for the past 10 years. Why would anyone with all the money in the world decide to work as a train conductor? Because the guy loved trains, I guess. Boring for some, cool for others.

So say someone gives you $10 million, but you have to work an ordinary job at regular hours over the next 20 years. You can take regular vacations and sick days like any employee, but you won't ever be promoted and you can't quit. If you perform so poorly that you get fired, you lose the $10 million inheritance.

So what min-wage job (or something close to min-wage) would you take and why?

My answer in white, which you shouldn't read until you post your own for fear of idea-contamination:

<font color="white">Lifeguard at the Mandalay Bay pool </font>

Shadowrun 05-04-2007 05:24 PM

Re: Be a millionaire but take this low-paying job, please.

Bartender

blinden84 05-04-2007 05:24 PM

I would love to be a baseball park usher

GSykes 05-04-2007 05:25 PM

Zamboni driver

Los Feliz Slim 05-04-2007 05:26 PM

A) $10 million isn't enough and 20 years too long to make any answer conceivably acceptable. Make it $100 million and 10 years.

B) Bartender in a neighborhood bar.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 05-04-2007 05:27 PM

life guard

turnipmonster 05-04-2007 05:27 PM

cook for the breakfast/lunch shift at a restaurant.

MicroBob 05-04-2007 05:28 PM

I pretty much got paid somewhere around minimum-wage when I did play-by-play of low-level minor-league and college sports on radio for several years.

The work was always fun while the money was always sucky.

I have already decided that I would likely take the opportunity to go back to my 'true love' if I had the financial freedom to do so.

WayAbvPar 05-04-2007 05:28 PM

I would like to run a bookstore. I like the usher in a sports park/arena idea too.

Kneel B4 Zod 05-04-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) $10 million isn't enough and 20 years too long to make any answer conceivably acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that can't be right. $10m in cash today + your return on that money in 20 years (call it $500,000 per year) is far more than almost anyone can hope to have in 20 years.