Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Skill vs. Luck - Another Angle (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392753)

OldNantucker 05-01-2007 09:04 AM

Skill vs. Luck - Another Angle

Sports Analogy: Mighty Patriots play lowly Lions and final score is 24-20 Lions. Pats had 380 yds of total offense and Lions had 165. Lions get two TD's when two passes are randomly deflected, intercepted and run back for TD's.
Pats are clearly more "skilled" team who made better plays but lost the game due to unlucky breaks. Obviously, football is a game of skill but some games have an element of luck.

I play Phil Ivey heads up and he skillfully manuevers me into playing big pots after flop as 2:1 and sometimes 4:1 dog. I get lucky, draw out and eventually bust him. Clearly, Ivey is the more "skilled" player who has put the odds in his favor by making better plays but was unlucky. Poker is a game of skill but many times has an element of luck.

Aren't these examples the same thing? Don't many skill games have an element of luck?

SGspecial 05-01-2007 09:19 AM

Re: Skill vs. Luck - Another Angle

[ QUOTE ]
Sports Analogy: Mighty Patriots play lowly Lions and final score is 24-20 Lions. Pats had 380 yds of total offense and Lions had 165. Lions get two TD's when two passes are randomly deflected, intercepted and run back for TD's.
Pats are clearly more "skilled" team who made better plays but lost the game due to unlucky breaks. Obviously, football is a game of skill but some games have an element of luck.

I play Phil Ivey heads up and he skillfully manuevers me into playing big pots after flop as 2:1 and sometimes 4:1 dog. I get lucky, draw out and eventually bust him. Clearly, Ivey is the more "skilled" player who has put the odds in his favor by making better plays but was unlucky. Poker is a game of skill but many times has an element of luck.

Aren't these examples the same thing? Don't many skill games have an element of luck?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Skallagrim 05-01-2007 09:24 AM

All games have some element of luck/randomness. Even chess: the white player has a small advantage and choosing who gets white is usually done randomly.

The legal test is whether the game is MOSTLY luck or skill.

JPFisher55 05-01-2007 12:29 PM

The only game that does not have any element of chance might be duplicate bridge because all teams play the same hand. However, a good team could get lucky by a bad mistake by another team or playing a difficult hand against a bad team.

Piece of Cake 05-01-2007 01:33 PM

Are the Pats and Lions playing for money?

Emperor 05-01-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are the Pats and Lions playing for money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, players donate all salaries to charity. Same for Team owners revenue generated.