Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Your top 5 favorite White Stripes songs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392084)

Jiggymike 04-30-2007 02:53 PM

Your top 5 favorite White Stripes songs

In honor of the awesomeness that is Icky Thump (the single now and the upcoming album of the same name, I think), I don't feel like listening to any other music besides the White Stripes. Let's do a thread about your favorite songs by them, here are mine in no particular order:

1. "Stop Breaking Down" (cover of Robert Johnson song). When I first got into the Stripes (hated them initially because of Fell in Love with a Girl, which I didn't like until I heard it in the frame of the rest of their music) I went out and picked up the Japanese import version of their first album. When I first heard this song, it was like head asplode.

2. "The Denial Twist" Not even my favorite song on the album at first, now each time I hear it I like it more. Great rhythym and lyrics.

3. "Wasting my Time" Probably not in anyone else's top 5 (or top 20), for some reason I just love this song, especially the guitar bridges.

4. "Jolene" (Dolly Pardon cover). Lol two covers on here. This song is the nuts live, though.

5. "Hello Operator" Even my mom likes this song.

If I had to listen to 5 White Stripes songs for the rest of my life, it would probably be these. However I love so many of their songs that I could listen to them all and come back here and probably change at least three of them.

Autocratic 04-30-2007 02:59 PM

Re: Your top 5 favorite White Stripes songs

Not sure about 5 because there are so many good ones, but my absolute favorite for some reason is Blue Orchid. It kicks off that album so solidly, I almost always play it twice in a row.

AE6 04-30-2007 03:03 PM

wow wtf, i thought i liked the white stripes but i've only even heard of one of these songs.
fell in love with a girl
the denial twist
my doorbell
the air near my fingers
seven nation army

Jiggymike 04-30-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow wtf, i thought i liked the white stripes but i've only even heard of one of these songs.
fell in love with a girl
the denial twist
my doorbell
the air near my fingers
seven nation army

[/ QUOTE ]

Three are on their "pre-fame" albums (which I bought AFTER they were way famous), the other is a cover, not sure if it's on an album. Highly recommend picking up The White Stripes and De Stijl albums.

Air near my fingers is a great song.

KneeCo 04-30-2007 03:09 PM

Not sure, denial twist would be up there for sure, all these lists are solid, I owuld also have to include "Union Forever" cause I'm a huge Citizen Kane fanboy.

When does the new album hit?

EvanJC 04-30-2007 03:11 PM

i love the white stripes, they're a top 10 favorite band of mine, but it's really hard for me to come up with favorites because so many of their songs are very similar.

the cover of jolene from "live in boston" is amazing, so i'll go w/that for 1-5.

miajag 04-30-2007 03:23 PM

Decent list, though leaving Ball and Biscuit off is criminal.

Wires 04-30-2007 03:27 PM

In honor of the awesomeness that is Icky Thump

I'd like to second the awesomeness. Heard it last night for the first time. Great song. Now I'm all ramped up for the new album.

theblackkeys 04-30-2007 03:37 PM

Death Letter (Son House cover)
Little Bird
Hotel Yorba
Denial Twist
My Doorbell

EvanJC 04-30-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Decent list, though leaving Ball and Biscuit off is criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

the third solo in ball and biscuit is so much hot fire