Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   flying with pets (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388935)

daryn 04-26-2007 11:36 AM

flying with pets

do any of you have experience with this? is it really stressful on the pet? i'm coming to vegas this summer for a month or so and i'm bringing my dog. i considered driving out from boston and i'm still not entirely against it, but it would be cheaper/easier to fly.

maybe he would sleep through the flight besides the takeoff and landing?

how much does it cost?

KittyKat 04-26-2007 12:01 PM

Re: flying with pets

How big is your dog? Can he go under the seat in front of you in the plane? Have you spoken to the airline about it?

Some airlines won't ship dogs into/out of hot areas during the summer months if they're flying cargo. It's dangerous, too hot. It sounds like you haven't talked to the airlines yet? I would call them first off and see if they will even allow it. If they will, I would still go and talk to a vet and make sure it would be safe for your dog before you even consider it.

EvilElement 04-26-2007 12:10 PM

There was a poster in OOT that asked this and if he could bring a dog onboard a plane as a service dog.
He later posted a trip report of him flying with his "service" dog.
I suck at the searching so i can't find it.

Alobar 04-26-2007 12:11 PM

think your puppy could pass as a service dog? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have you ever driven cross country before? If you havent why not just go ahead and do it, for the sake of doing it? Could be a cool experience, its something most people talk about doing but never end up doing, plus it eliminates your air travel concerns.

turnipmonster 04-26-2007 12:18 PM

I see people taking small dogs in bags onto planes all the time. not really sure about bigger dogs.

slush fund 04-26-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see people taking small dogs in bags onto planes all the time. not really sure about bigger dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've done this on american and airtran about two years ago. i had to use an "approved bag" which was just a normal carrier. my dog is about 10 lbs and i think the limit for dog and bag is 15 lbs. just put the bag under the seat in front of me. dog didnt seem to mind too much

daryn 04-26-2007 12:46 PM

my dog is at least 35 lbs. right now and growing

driving out is the tentative plan for now. anyone want to make the trip? heh

derosnec 04-26-2007 01:30 PM

i've flown with my two pets (not dogs) on delta because they are liberal about pets being in the cabin. they sleep right away and for most of the trip.

i've read too many horror stories about placing pets in cargo (as checked luggage) so i never do that

Worrots 04-26-2007 02:04 PM

Flying with a fake service dog thread