Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Professors calling you dumb (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388258)

Big Poppa Smurf 04-25-2007 04:58 PM

Professors calling you dumb

Does anyone else get this a lot? The first time was when I jokingly mispronounced a greek word, and an old professor called me a moron in front of my entire greek class and new professor. That was awesome.

Today, a professor asked me "if I ever do any of the readings" because I couldn't remember what source a random factoid came from. When I explained to her that I do do the readings, but can't recall random factoids of material I've never seen before, especially when put on the spot, (in her defense this happens semi-frequently, but when I contribute stuff it's good, I just can't handle the pressure of recalling random info) she launched into some diatribe about how she was just trying to teach me how to make generalizations from texts and understand general concepts, despite the fact that she asked me a very specific question. Basically, instead of apologizing, the tone of the conversation was that I'm an idiot with zero reading comprehensions or academic skills. Of course, she then went on in class to forget what sources things were in, and to make a really grossly wrong statement that she had asked me about earlier (haha called her out on that one though!)

I AM SO [censored] TIRED OF CONDESCENDING PROFESSORS. I'm sorry that I'm not interested in knowing 50 dead languages like you do, or how to pronounce them even though no one speaks them, or in learning all about the culture and religion of some society over 4000 years ago, and I'm sorry I can't remember their Sumerian names (before anyone asks, I need these classes to graduate) off the top of my head.

I'm sorry that I don't even want to be in school anymore, but my parents will kill me if I drop out and I'll never get a good job, because college diplomas are just $160k pieces of paper that you need before you can get a job that's not at McDonalds, and even then it's kind of useless because everyone and their mother has some stupid college degree (scientists and engineers, you're cool). [censored] YOU [censored] YOU [censored] YOU [censored] YOU, you condescending pricks who spend their entire life learning something completely useless and never going into the real world but instead spend it in school, and think that entitles them to insult my intelligence. [censored] YOU AND MAY YOU SUFFER THE WRATH OF THE IMPENETRABLE QUICKENING.

lippy 04-25-2007 05:09 PM

Re: Professors calling you dumb

Oh, this is just a fantastic -- and accurate -- post.

Those who can't do, teach.

Thremp 04-25-2007 05:14 PM

Ask if he belittles undergrads because of his latent insecurities or the problems in his marriage.

Big Poppa Smurf 04-25-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask if he belittles undergrads because of his latent insecurities or the problems in his marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow dude, you are dead on. The first prof is married, but his wife lives out of state, and he is deathly afraid of both bees and milk!

Thremp 04-25-2007 05:22 PM

Wow. You mean picking on people who're clearly inferior in whatever area means that you are likely uncomfortable with yourself?

Move over pysch major douches... I'm gonna start giving counseling.

EricW 04-25-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those who can't do, teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol except college professors CAN do because they have to do active research.

HOWMANY 04-25-2007 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Those who can't do something useful, teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that better?

Golden_Rhino 04-25-2007 10:48 PM

Poppa,

I notice the profs doing that with the younger students. I haven't had them do it to me yet (they probably assume since I'm older I take it seriously). I told a prof he needed to apologize when he made a girl cry by telling her maybe university wasn't for her. At that moment I saw my A disappear.

Big Poppa Smurf 04-26-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At that moment I saw my A disappear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man don't even get me started on that! Prof's need to learn to seperate liking someone from the caliber of work they do.

EricW 04-26-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Those who can't do something useful, teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that better?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that important research isn't important? Obviously not all profs do important research but a lot of them do.