Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Dumbbell Routine for Lean Mass Maintenance? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387632)

Jeff W 04-24-2007 11:09 PM

Dumbbell Routine for Lean Mass Maintenance?

I am dieting(about 1000 calorie/day deficit). I want to add weight training primarily to minimize muscle loss. Is a simple dumbbell routine sufficient for this purpose?

Dumbbell Military Press
Dumbbell Squat
Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift

Not sure about sets x repts.

theblackkeys 04-26-2007 01:16 AM

Re: Dumbbell Routine for Lean Mass Maintenance?

Nice ninja-bump. I'm sorry I can't really help you but I hope someone will add something worthwhile.

Rearden 04-26-2007 01:24 AM

You have probably not recieved many replies because:

1- Your calorie deficit (and I have no idea what youre subtracting that 1k from... which could be pretty bad) sounds almost nation-esque/anorexic.

2- You have supplied no info as to what your diet actually consists of... running a 1k deficit in a diet based on swiss rolls and bagels with cream cheese is incredibly different than the diet you could be following/should be following. Your diet is pretty important to lean mass whether it's with respect to development or maintenance.

3- Though you included deadlifts and squats (yay!) I do not think there are any three exercises that could be a proper and thorough split really. There are numerous threads on lifting splits while dieting/for weight loss... etc. Many of these threads contain links to or outlines of well constructed programs you could choose to follow.

thirddan 04-26-2007 01:37 AM

there is even a thred somewhere around here where i linked to an all dumbbell routine e-book...

Jeff W 04-26-2007 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have probably not recieved many replies because:

1- Your calorie deficit (and I have no idea what youre subtracting that 1k from... which could be pretty bad) sounds almost nation-esque/anorexic.

[/ QUOTE ]

BMR calculator. I don't see how 1k is "anorexic", that should be -2 lbs/wk.

[ QUOTE ]
2- You have supplied no info as to what your diet actually consists of... running a 1k deficit in a diet based on swiss rolls and bagels with cream cheese is incredibly different than the diet you could be following/should be following. Your diet is pretty important to lean mass whether it's with respect to development or maintenance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the diet well taken care of, I think. I eat .8 g protein/lb body weight. Carbohydrates ~30% of total calories. All carbohydrates come from fruit, vegetables, beans and whole oats.

[ QUOTE ]
3- Though you included deadlifts and squats (yay!) I do not think there are any three exercises that could be a proper and thorough split really.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to be a perfect routine. I'm just looking to hit the large muscles to stimulate lean mass maintenance and testosterone production.

mattnxtc 04-26-2007 08:08 AM

Your only eating 1k calories a day? What do you weight? I have a hard time beleivng your getting only 1k calories if you are getting that much protein/carbs and so forth.

avfletch 04-26-2007 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your only eating 1k calories a day? What do you weight? I have a hard time beleivng your getting only 1k calories if you are getting that much protein/carbs and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calorie deficit not intake. ie eating 1k cals less per day than he burns through exercise/existing.