Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   taking multiple choice tests cold (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386737)

Jason Strasser (strassa2) 04-24-2007 12:28 AM

taking multiple choice tests cold

Ive had some experience in this area.

The first step is to find questions that give hints about other questions. Even in college you see this all the time.

The second step is to find spots where you have groups of questions where one is the right answer. You can have two questions and you KNOW the answer to one of them is C, answer C for both. Dont try to be a guessing hero.

Third is to rule out answers that are obsurd and run well flipping coins! Whenever you can reduce variance and find spots where you can answer sets of questions where you are guaranteed to get an amt of questions right that would beat randomly guessing.

Dan. 04-24-2007 12:46 AM

Re: taking multiple choice tests cold

Does Duke have a lot of multiple choice tests? I haven't had one at Northwestern, nor has anyone I know.

CalledDownLight 04-24-2007 01:18 AM

Where can I find these classes? I hear EOS11 has them, anything else?

T50_Omaha8 04-24-2007 01:26 AM

"Never" means never right, and "always" means always wrong.

tbrown932 04-24-2007 01:54 AM

The second step is to find spots where you have groups of questions where one is the right answer. You can have two questions and you KNOW the answer to one of them is C, answer C for both. Dont try to be a guessing hero.

WRONG.

TurtlePiss 04-24-2007 04:28 AM

If you're making a guess (this could be after you've eliminated some candidates), make sure to make it totally random, don't go by feel. Partition the clock into appropriate sections and use the seconds hand to make your answer.

TheDivineRod 04-24-2007 05:30 AM

I think i read somewhere that the longer answers are more likely to be the correct ones.

goofyballer 04-24-2007 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this just reducing variance by taking 50% on the two questions? If you're trying to be a "guessing hero" then it's probably because you feel a little more than 50% sure about which one's correct, in which case you'll experience more variance but get more questions right in the long run.

HOWMANY 04-24-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this just reducing variance by taking 50% on the two questions? If you're trying to be a "guessing hero" then it's probably because you feel a little more than 50% sure about which one's correct, in which case you'll experience more variance but get more questions right in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

There could be 2 questions with the same set of 4 answers for both and you know that one of the choices is correct for one of the questions but you're completely clueless on the other 3 choices so the best decision here is to fill in the one you know is the correct answer for one of the questions instead of trying to be a hero and guess which question the guaranteed answer is for and then picking from the other 3 and guessing which one it answers as well.

Misfire 04-24-2007 08:31 PM

I know on tests like the GRE/GMAT, you can pretty safely avoid answers on math questions with "easy" numbers. For instance, a problem dealing with numbers like 100 and 50 and 25, the right answer will not likely be a multiple of 25. On reading comprehension, you can often avoid answers with lots of language lifted from the passage. Not that these questions are hard anyway, but if you're short on time, knowing what not to guess helps.