Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   marathon? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386275)

turnipmonster 04-23-2007 03:22 PM

marathon?

the deadline for the lottery for the nyc marathon is fast approaching, and I'm really on the fence. I really like the nyc marathon, I've run it twice. however, the last time I ran it I had an awful time with my knees and I told myself I wasn't going to do it again. the last 6 miles of the race really sucked for me.

I am in much better shape now than I was then, although I don't really have a runner's build (6' 180lbs) and I am not one of those guys that can just go bang out 10 miles like nothing. I am not a very fast runner at all, typically run about 9 minute miles for long runs.

pros:
- running the nyc marathon is fun
- quite possible I will do much better than I have in the past and record a personal best.

cons:
- training takes a lot of time.
- possible physical injury (I could very well screw up a knee or something)
- training will cut into other areas of exercise I enjoy (lifting, martial arts, etc).

thoughts?

JaBlue 04-23-2007 04:47 PM

Re: marathon?

For something like a marathon it makes absolutely no sense to spend so much time training for it unless you really, really want to do it. Doesn't sound like you do so I'm gonna say you should just stick with doing the things like martial arts and lifting that you like.

skunkworks 04-23-2007 04:57 PM

turnip, barring any burning desire to record a PR or to run with a friend, I would stick with your normal activities. Training for a marathon is very disruptive to other activities not only because of the different type of fitness required, but also because it is so time consuming. It's a fun thing to do and I will never, ever forget my own experience running a marathon, but it requires a huge commitment in so many ways, especially mentally. I don't get the sense that you're really into it.

tdarko 04-23-2007 05:01 PM

turnip,

It makes sense that the last 6 miles were the toughest considering mile 20 is considered "The Wall." I wouldn't worry about that too much though.

I don't know what you mean by awful time with your knees but if it is injury from your mechanics when you run then I would be careful b/c you are going to need time to fix that. If it is just from the pounding then you can still do the marathon, I am saying this b/c you said you are in better shape than the last time which makes me think you have a good base and are ready to add miles for the training.

I don't have a runner's build either (6'3 190) but I do know what you mean. I take a ton of steps that keep my body fine tuned; doctors, chiropractors, podiatrist. I am also not even running a marathon until December...my long run is just 12 miles but I still want to make sure my body stays sharp.

I wouldn't worry about times.

I would love to run the NYC and when I get a chance I am going to, pretty cool that you already have. The thing is you don't have to do something like this if you don't feel like it (you know that). If lifting and martial arts is enjoyable and gives you enough spare time to enjoy other aspects of your life then that could be a decision. Marathons/endurance training turn into a lifestyle and kind of take over your life so I can understand the apprehension.

bellytimber 04-23-2007 05:01 PM

It depends partly on what aspect of marathons you enjoy.

Is it getting in terrific running shape?
(because you can do this without running a marathon)

Is it working really hard for 4-5 months and building up to one major event race?
(because ok, this is a good reason to run a marathon in general, and the NY marathon in particular)

Is it setting a marathon PR?
(then consider running Chicago instead, it's almost as cool a race and it's way faster, and also you haven't done it)

I dunno man, time erodes memory--if you were really serious last time when you said to yourself "I wasn't going to do it again," then you should think awfully hard about now doing the exact same thing again the very next year. Also, "possible physical injury" is kind of a strange con to list--yes your chances of injury increase when you're training seriously for a marathon, but it's easy to minimize that risk, and anyway it's not like martial arts and lifting are as safe as eating marshmallows.

Don't get me wrong, marathons are cool, I ran Honolulu and Boston and they are absolutely two good memories. But life is short and I was at the point of diminishing returns so I moved on. I think lots of people tend to exalt The Marathon beyond all other types of races, but the truth is that many other kinds of races are at least as interesting, challenging, fun, and rewarding.

But you know better than anyone. And if you still need to scratch that itch, then commit to it and do it as well as you can.

droopy0021 04-23-2007 10:54 PM

My wife runs a lot of marathons (2-3/yr) and I take this from watching her train--you have to enjoy the ride, including the training.

You might be persuaded if you could find a running/training partner who is also looking to run the marathon. That would help get out for your miles on a July day where you'd rather not.

Also mix weight training to help your body take the pounding (unsure from your post if you still lift when marathon training).

turnipmonster 04-24-2007 04:57 PM

thanks for the thoughts, everyone. most of you said I don't seem that into it and you are right. I think I am going to run some shorter races with my wife and maybe do some half marathons, then decide this time next year if I really want to do the nyc marathon again.