Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need vacation idea... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379264)

mediaslut 04-15-2007 03:05 PM

Need vacation idea...

wife and i can't seem to agree on anything. so we are asking the 2 + 2 community for some help.

Here are the criteria:

- we have about 10 days at the end of August
- we would like some place tropical with the ability for hiking and doing outdoor stuff
- we definitely want some 4 or 5 star dining options
- we don't want anywhere overrun with tourists
- wifey would like to be able to surf (she is a beginner so quality of surfing is really not that big of a deal)

thanks for any ideas.

By-Tor 04-15-2007 03:06 PM

Re: Need vacation idea...

ummm, Hawaii?

edfurlong 04-15-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm, Hawaii?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably wants somewhere where the locals speak some english.

mediaslut 04-15-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm, Hawaii?

[/ QUOTE ]

See the point about congestion. Honolulu or maui are definitely out. I would consider other islands, but really don't know enough.

Uglyowl 04-15-2007 04:53 PM

I have heard from many that Aruba is the place to go.

trapsetter 04-15-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't let your daughter go there with her friends for spring break.

4_2_it 04-15-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that many 4-5 star restaurants (there are several very good ones though). Not sure about surfing; otherwise everything else is a go.

trapsetter 04-15-2007 05:02 PM

Where are you guys located now? Is the length of flight a concern here?

I'm a huge fan of Bermuda. I live in NYC and it's less than a 2 hour direct flight from here, yet it feels totally exotic.

The beaches are top notch, and there is hiking there as well.

Dining is very good, the only downside (if this is even a downside) is that you usually have to be somewhat dressed up. There is great golf, beautiful natural scenery, and it tends to be a nice crowd of people and not congested at all (tourists are not allowed cars).

If you are interested, PM me and I can provide some details about hotels and restaurants.

trapsetter 04-15-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that many 4-5 star restaurants (there are several very good ones though). Not sure about surfing; otherwise everything else is a go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also wouldn't want to go to the Caribbean in the middle of summer. It will be insanely hot. Better to go between October and April. May through Sep is just too hot. Not worth the money when you have other places you can go for cheaper that will be more pleasant.

Uglyowl 04-15-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also wouldn't want to go to the Caribbean in the middle of summer. It will be insanely hot. Better to go between October and April. May through Sep is just too hot. Not worth the money when you have other places you can go for cheaper that will be more pleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]

The local climate is a pleasant tropical marine climate. Little seasonal temperature variation exists, which helps Aruba to attract tourists all year round. Temperatures are almost constant at about 28 °C (82 °F), moderated by constant trade winds from the Atlantic Ocean. Yearly precipitation barely reaches 500 mm (20 in), most of it falling in late autumn.

http://www.arubabound.com/weather/average.htm