Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Sticky situation with AK (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376596)

cking 04-12-2007 02:12 AM

Sticky situation with AK

Any thoughts on the hand? GLD? play flop different?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($83.75)
UTG ($206.55)
Hero ($275.95)
Button ($287.65)
SB ($87)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $8, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $86</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $279.65</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $384.65

orange 04-12-2007 02:53 AM

Re: Sticky situation with AK

i think 3-bet/folding this flop is horrible.

you just turned your hand into a pure bluff...a hand that can easily be the best one and one in which there are better ways to get to showdown.

after button raises you, i think you should decide whether or not your going to stack off/continue. there are a few options...you can either 3-bet/call a shove or you can call and do some things ont he turn. K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] helps a bit...you can either call and b/f a turn (dont really stopngo much here) or c/r ai.

carnivalhobo 04-12-2007 03:38 AM

a read would be nice, but like orange said, dont 3b/fold

i think calling the flop raise and jamming a safe turn is the way to go

carrotsnake 04-12-2007 03:49 AM

why do people insist on making their hands bluffs, it just amazes me :/

HaiaN 04-12-2007 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a read would be nice, but like orange said, dont 3b/fold

i think calling the flop raise and jamming a safe turn is the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

if he does not raise on the turn, whats our line for a safe river?

The White Rabbit 04-12-2007 04:17 AM

Your line isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Especially without a read on his turn/river tendencies your line is fine.

All that "turning your hand into a bluff" crap is nice and such, but if raising is profitable while playing OOP against a wide range without much information about villains strategy on later streets is not, raising is the only sensible play.

Against an average opponent bet/folding a blank turn or c/r AI on turn is fine as well.

cking 04-12-2007 04:53 AM

I just figured he cant do this without a hand like KJ or at worst he is making this play with like QTc. I think everyone is right about, call flop/jam safe turn.

As far as reads go, he had been pretty aggressive but made a few pretty big laydowns (top 2 pair when strait card hits, etc). I hadnt seen him make a play like this so i just went on the feel that he has a big hand.

He had been repoping alot which was a factor for me 3betting the flop and thus taking down a good size pot without risking a scare card on the turn. Does this make 3betting more viable option, especially considering my bad position? Or still stick to a more standard line. Also i hadnt been getting out of line at all, especially with EP raises