Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   "splash the pot" strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=373772)

twoblacknines 04-06-2007 01:06 PM

\"splash the pot\" strategy

Argosy in Indiana runs this promotion called "splash the pot" where they randomly draw a table and add $250 to the next pot.

I was at a 2/5 nl table and we got picked. The table was fairly deep, I had around $850 and was covered by a few players.

I had the pleasure of being UTG. While I was contemplating if open pushing any 2 was the correct strategy, I was dealt AK which made the decision easy.

If I had 72o it still seems like it would be correct to push right? How deep would I have to be to make this incorrect?

Even if someone thinks I am pushing pretty light they would still need a decent hand to call $850 preflop, and I'm fairly sure most people will just give up anyway once I push not wanting to lose their whole stack.

Thoughts?

twoblacknines 04-06-2007 01:30 PM

Re: \"splash the pot\" strategy

cool thanks for the thoughts.

iceman5 04-06-2007 01:42 PM

Ive played several "splash pots". In my game, the splash pot is only $100 even though its still a $2/$5 game.

Having said that, I'll say this....theres a very good chance youre going to get called and maybe mulitple times.

Pushing with any 2 is idiotic.

elliot 04-06-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool thanks for the thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

you waited all of 25 minutes, [censored].

calm the [censored] down.

Ramon Scott 04-06-2007 02:18 PM

If u don't push with any two, you are going to end up having to call if u have the best hand.

If the recommended strategy by the poster is not to push with AK, then just fold anything but AA, KK and maybe QQ.

foureightsuited 04-06-2007 08:27 PM

just straddle and welcome the amazing pot odds when it gets back to you

rbenuck4 04-06-2007 10:53 PM

It all depends how many short stacks are at the table. If everyone covers you, I think any two isn't a terrible decision, but if there is even one short stack (<250), that means they are getting over 2 to 1 to call so it becomes profitable for them to call against you, so I think in that case, you have to tighten up your requirements to open push. That being said, I think AK is a definite push in this situation.

binki 04-07-2007 12:43 AM

I ran into this splash pot in AZ and they based it on a football game. When your 'team' scored they splashed the pot. The game we were on had a final score of something like 45/42 and there were so many splash pots that at one time they were 2 behind. We finally agreed to all call the blind, not look at our cards and check it down. It was a pretty fun game. The splash was 1/2 rack of the chip denomination at the table.

shag 04-09-2007 03:16 PM

people will call you real light so pushing any two is retarded.

johnnyrocket 04-09-2007 03:47 PM

pushing ne 2 is dumb, you need to win this pot 85-110 times to make it profitable, that being said u have to do math where they fold and how often you think you will get a caller, i dont want to work it out but simple math