Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Silly Small Monetary Gifts - Annoying or OK? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=371115)

swede123 04-03-2007 01:16 PM

Silly Small Monetary Gifts - Annoying or OK?

Tomorrow I'm going to be 32. I received a card from my wife's grandparents, and it felt good to be recognized and remembered. However, the card contained a ten dollar bill, which is the reason for this post.

If I was eight years old those ten bucks would mean lots of candy or some new comic books or something, but to a 32-year old who does OK in the money department it's just amusing in a somewhat annoying way to receive a monetary gift like this.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Swede

Los Feliz Slim 04-03-2007 01:22 PM

Re: Silly Small Monetary Gifts - Annoying or OK?

Is there any chance that $10 means a lot more to your wife's grandparents than it does to you? I've had family members who are not well off send me very small monetary gifts, and it doesn't annoy me, it makes me sad.

deadbody 04-03-2007 01:24 PM

Tell ya what Swede, anytime someone sends you money that you deem insignificant, send it my way. I'll even pay for the stamp (although I would assume that the 41 cents or whateverr is meaningless to you).

Maybe you should just be tahnkful for the thought, and move on.

punkass 04-03-2007 01:25 PM

Have they sent $10 every year? Like a tradition?

don't read too much into this. Be glad you can take your wife to dinner at taco bell and just laugh it off.

TheDudeAbides 04-03-2007 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance that $10 means a lot more to your wife's grandparents than it does to you? I've had family members who are not well off send me very small monetary gifts, and it doesn't annoy me, it makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - my grandmother, who isn't very well off, sends me cheques every birthday. I can never bring myself to cash them.

swede123 04-03-2007 01:27 PM

Good point, and something I should have mentioned in the OP. These people have plenty of money. They live in a nice house, drive nice vehicles, go on frequent trips to Europe and Asia etc.

Swede

scott1 04-03-2007 01:35 PM

After a certain age money gifts in general are pretty meaningless. Even a check for $100 just gets put into the checking account where it becomes no different than any other cash. No recollection a year later of what the gift was.

Nick-Zack 04-03-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah - my grandmother, who isn't very well off, sends me cheques every birthday. I can never bring myself to cash them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure she notices that you never cash them. I would think it would hurt her to know that you refuse to cash them.

RayPowers 04-03-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Side topic, my grandparents send between $10 to $25. I would not mind this at all, except, it's a check. My brain has a hard time justifying going to the bank to deposit a $20 check, and often the check just ends up getting lost somewhere and never cashed.

Perhaps my grandparents are leveling me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ray

swede123 04-03-2007 01:45 PM

Good point, Ray. At least my $10 is cash money so I can easily spend it on (a tiny bit of) hookers and blow without having to stop by the bank.

Swede