Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pre-flop raiser doesn't bet the flop heads-up (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=37051)

LoaferGee 02-14-2006 11:02 PM

Pre-flop raiser doesn\'t bet the flop heads-up

Villain here is 30/20/2.5 over 300 hands. I called pre-flop planning on check-raising almost any flop.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

This always confuses the hell out of me and I never know how to take it from the turn.

Adam D 02-14-2006 11:07 PM

Re: Pre-flop raiser doesn\'t bet the flop heads-up

These confuse the hell out of me too. I usually figure he's got the nuts or nothing. I'll call down most of the time. Bet/folding isn't terrible either. Ugh I despise these spots.

GetThere1Time 02-14-2006 11:08 PM

That's why I'd 3-bet PF. The hand gets a lot simpler.

Catt 02-14-2006 11:10 PM

A read on his post-flop helps a bit in these situations, but they're still tough. I don't think 30/20 guys check behind monsters on the flop hoping to induce action as frequently as the 40/5 guys and the 20/8 guys. In any event, you're basically getting boned however you play it, because you're relegated to checking it down and letting him play perfectly with a weaker hand, or betting and facing a raise which is generally too much to call given the pot size. Sometimes I check it down. Sometimes I bet and fold to a raise. Sometimes I bet and see a SD. Sometimes I check and fold to any bet.

OOP HU against a PFR stealer whose stats at least indicate that he's not a total doofus, on a board like this, is just a crappy place to be. Just don't get crazy with trying to push him off a hand by doing something like bet-3betting anywhere.

Mathieu 02-14-2006 11:28 PM

grunch

I never played higher than 2/4, but my guess is that he either has QQ-KK and he is trying to keep the pot small and perhaps induce a bluff, or that he flopped a monster and is trapping.

I expect him to bet this flop if he missed since he will to take it down the majority of the time.

I don't see him checking a pocket pair that needs protection (say JJ or less).

I think it is very unlikely that you have the best hand or that you can take this down so I would just give up on the turn.

SlantNGo 02-14-2006 11:37 PM

Bet it. He could have easily been trying to steal with a hand like Kx then checked the flop because it didn't hit him. I would dump to a raise immediately.

Mathieu 02-14-2006 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet it. He could have easily been trying to steal with a hand like Kx then checked the flop because it didn't hit him. I would dump to a raise immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that the A hi flop makes it a trivial continuation bet for a hand that missed?

siccjay 02-14-2006 11:56 PM

I think he has a monster. I also HATE when this happens. I would probably checked again like a sissy and called down.

SlantNGo 02-15-2006 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think that the A hi flop makes it a trivial continuation bet for a hand that missed?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does to a second-level thinker. To a first-level thinker, it's "oh [censored] there's an overcard". Whether OP thinks he's a first or second-level thinker should determine whether he bets this turn. By default, I'd assume he's a first-level thinker, but that's because I play at 1/2 6-max. 5/10 is probably different.

Leader 02-15-2006 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I'd 3-bet PF. The hand gets a lot simpler.

[/ QUOTE ]

enjoy:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&amp;PHPSESSID=

LoaferGee:

His check is pretty concerning IMO. I can only really see this happening for three reasons: he's going moron with AK or something similarly big; he has a weak made hand now which was strong pf and wants to SD as cheaply as possible; or he's seen you call/cr in the past and figures he's better off taking a free card with KQ/KJ/QJ. None of these cases look partially good for us. Therefore, I'd c/f.