Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Live 20-40 Hand against tricky opponent (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369869)

dcb777 04-01-2007 11:34 PM

Live 20-40 Hand against tricky opponent

Live Foxwoods 20-40 great game. Five people limp I complete in SB with 109 diamonds. Seven of us to the flop.

Flop: 972 with two clubs.

I check, seemingly solid unkown bets, very tricky regular calls, i just call. Three of us to the turn.

Turn: 9 of clubs so board is 9729 with 3 clubs. I check, MP bets, tricky player calls. I gave one of the players at least a flush here and felt the tricky player flopped a set, but was confused by his turn call so I just call.

river 2 so board is 97292 two clubs. I bet out.

I am mostly interested in my flop and turn play in this spot. I checked the flop hoping to checkraise a late position better, but didn't raise due to who bet and called in this spot.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Carmine 04-02-2007 12:00 AM

Re: Live 20-40 Hand against tricky opponent

Good on all streets IMO.

dankhank 04-02-2007 12:01 AM

perfect on all streets. tricky player's line is a flush a lot.

mmcd 04-02-2007 05:20 AM

Turn and River look good. I'd be inclined to checkraise the flop though. What was the flop bettors position? I think in this spot, you'll often see a flush draw from the bettor, and JTo type hand from the caller. I think you're ahead pretty often on the flop, and check-calling might put you in some uncomfortable turn spots when something like the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] pops off. If there are a couple of players yet to act when the action gets back to you on the flop, you pretty much have to checkraise. The pot's already pretty big, and you don't want QJ or the like seeing the turn.

jba 04-02-2007 10:21 AM

I think this is fine. I would tend to c/r the flop though.

who were the opponents out of curiosity and when was this hand? it sort of rings a bell.

golferbrent 04-02-2007 09:42 PM

You need to find a C/R on one of the first two streets. I think you are being too scared of the tricky player here. I don't think a tricky player is going to slow play here. The board is paired and a flush has completed here and the original bettor has shown no interest in slowing down with the apparent scare cards here. Clearly, this is not a spot to get tricky to create value, by calling and supposed sucking you in. This is a spot where you want to make the value on the turn here from the bettor who apparently has a very big hand and has not slowed down with the scare cards.

As a result here I love a C/R on the turn here, but I really think you need to C/R the flop here. The hand becomes much easier to play to when you take control of the hand.

BK1248 04-02-2007 10:09 PM

c/r flop to make the others call 2 cold with overs, but since late pos didnt bet id call and see what develops, this is right out of Inside the Poker Mind. I told u this before when it happened, Kev and Jeff didnt agree, its weird their combined bankroll is 10k.

jkamowitz 04-02-2007 10:16 PM

I like preflop and flop obviously. On the turn I think you need to do something. I don't know where you automatically assumed one of them has a set and the other has a flush.

I think you need to refine your read if this player is truly tricky. As I see it, a tricky player raises both the flop and the turn with flush/set. This looks more like a loose/passive player to me.

27offsooot 04-03-2007 12:04 AM

unless by very tricky, u mean retarded, tricky player should be raising any monster on the turn. He can expect decent action by the bulk of MPs range given the flop + turn bets into large fields. I'm really surprised few people want to c/r the turn. I think not doing so should be at least a misdemeanor.

edit: by the way, i really like flop.

amulet 04-03-2007 12:41 AM

preflop: i agree call.

postflop: vs this many players on this flop i check and hope for a bet from late position to check raise and face the field with 2 bets. leading i don't like, in fact sometimes you need to check fold depending on the action that comes back to you. here i like your play.

turn: i lead. you can't give a redraw without charging to a high club. sure someone could have a flush, but often your trips are best, and you have redraws (although a bad price to get there). i lead here.

river: i agree.