Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   jogging fatso? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368017)

oddjob 03-30-2007 03:53 PM

jogging fatso?

is it possible for me to ever become a jogger? i'm not looking to run any marathons, but maybe able to jog for like 3 miles or so.

i'm fat, about 260 the last time i checked. and i have bad ankles and knees, and recently quit smoking. last time i tried to jog, i got aobut 3/4 miles and i thought i was going to die.

should i just stick to riding my bike?

guids 03-30-2007 03:55 PM

Re: jogging fatso?

Try walking first, with intermittent spurts of jogging, do it a ton until you do nothing but jog. Thats how I went from fat to not fat.

casey_brick 03-30-2007 03:58 PM

Start walking, your body needs to get in shape. Walk the miles you want to jog. Go see your doctor and get him/her to recomend good kneebraces. Buy some good running shoes. Give it a week or two if youre walking three miles start to walk 2 and jog the last one.

DrewDevil 03-30-2007 04:00 PM

I'm about 225 and I could stand to lose 40 lbs. I ran about a mile this morning and was dying. I think guids' advice is good.

Dids 03-30-2007 04:02 PM

I use the cross ramp/eplitical machine in the gym. Good workout, won't rape your kness like running will.

I would eventually like to jog, but want to get a lot thinner before I do.

DrewDevil 03-30-2007 04:03 PM

Dids, you're down 50 lbs., right? Well done. Keep it up.

punkass 03-30-2007 04:14 PM

Also try biking, if you have one. Putting in a bike day every so often helps those knees.

swede123 03-30-2007 04:14 PM

Cause and effect, baby. Lots of fatties use their poor knees/hips/ankles/you name it as an excuse why they don't work out. Of course it's all this extra weight they haul around that is the cause of the bad knees etc.

The tough part is getting a routine down, and sticking to it. Even if that routine is limiting your calories somewhat and walking a mile on a treadmill for starters it's alot better than eating donuts in front of the TV.

Swede

RoundGuy 03-30-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also try biking, if you have one. Putting in a bike day every so often helps those knees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh. Did you actually read the OP?

Matt R. 03-30-2007 04:20 PM

I would definitely mix in some strength training, especially initially. Lifting weights or something similar will cause you to shed the fat much faster, as well as strengthen your body such that it can support your jogging/running.

Lift weights (or some other strength training), walk, and work on flexibility early. You should be able to start jogging in no time, then you can modify your weight training from there. Don't overdo the weights either, it's a good way to get injured if you're out of shape.