Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   A Question About Learning Big Bet HE (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362680)

QTip 03-23-2007 09:27 PM

A Question About Learning Big Bet HE

Preparing to learn big bet HE, and I came across this.

I'm reading through Reuben and Ciaffone's book here. On page 51, they make they following statement:

"Every pot-limit player ought to learn no-limit play. First, it is an easy step. (Going from no-limit to pot-limit is much more difficult.)

This makes me wonder if I should be learning PL first. Has anyone experienced this? Any general thoughts on this matter?

mikechops 03-23-2007 09:56 PM

Re: A Question About Learning Big Bet HE

I haven't read their book, but this sounds like wierd advice. I don't know why you'd want to learn PL anyway because it isn't played that much. I have a hard time believing it plays a great deal differently to NL since the vast majority of bets in NL are pot size or below.

PSW 03-23-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read their book, but this sounds like wierd advice. I don't know why you'd want to learn PL anyway because it isn't played that much. I have a hard time believing it plays a great deal differently to NL since the vast majority of bets in NL are pot size or below.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, the biggest adjustment comes from PF play. It is much harder to set bad odds for others to follow you in in PL HE. Consider PL 50. blinds are .25/.5 You are UTG w/ KK and a big stack. You can't raise to more than 1.75 to go... wouldn't you rather make it $2 or more? I don't actually play PL, so I don't fully understand the ramifications...

psw

thetruest 03-23-2007 10:51 PM

if you make it 2$ or more to go nobody will ever call you because they know you have Kings+.

mikechops 03-23-2007 11:11 PM

I don't play it either. The few times I have played on Stars, more people saw the flop because as you said the limit comes into affect more. The play itself pre-flop isn't difficult - decide what you want to raise and if it is more than pot too bad - but it does lead to tricky situations post flop since you can't thin the field.

That said, I'm no expert and I'm possibly missing a great deal of the subtlety of PL.

jk1986 03-24-2007 01:50 AM

Preflop, pot limit involves lots more limp raising. Post flop, you often have to play big draws more passively than you would like. For some reason, pretty much all the real life card club cash games I've been to (UK) have been pot limit.

Antinome 03-24-2007 01:54 AM

I started in PL before moving to NL. I find my pot size planning skills are better than most because of it. Where it hurts is in some of the more deep stack longshot implied odds situations, where I fold automatically when I should probably call. I think more people here should play PL.