Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is Parenthood Like? (only for older OOTers) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357243)

hmkpoker 03-17-2007 04:58 AM

What is Parenthood Like? (only for older OOTers)

This post is directed to all the OOTers over the age of 30:

What is parenthood like? Have you found it deeply fulfilling, or overburdening? For those who don't have children, do you wish you did? Does life feel un-done and in need of something, or do you feel like you have lots of freedom?

Just a twenty-something eager to learn about the oncoming world of the thirty-something.

Wynton 03-17-2007 09:22 AM

Re: What is Parenthood Like? (only for older OOTers)

Yes, yes, yes and no.

Hope that clarifies things.

HeavilyArmed 03-17-2007 09:35 AM

Having children is why you're here.

You're likely never too young and you'll likely never have too many kids.

deadbody 03-17-2007 09:41 AM

Children add such a dimension to your life that it is immeasurable. They are the first thing you think of in the morning, and the last thing you think of before going to sleep. I started much younger than most OOTs (I have 2 kids ages 8 and 18 months, and I'm 27) but I really don't feel like I missed anything, and the experiences I've had with my kids are so much more rewarding.

Nothing will ever compare to the feeling of a small child curling up against you and saying "I love you daddy" nothing. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

StevieG 03-17-2007 10:20 AM

There's a lot of responsibility, but it is a lot of fun. Nurturing and then watching the development progress is pretty damn cool.

As far as free time, I have found that I am more jealous of time with the family. After working all week and missing stuff, you want to do things together on the weekend.

I'm glad we waited, but I think we waited a bit too long - probably impossible to escape that conclusion no matter what age you have kids.

Wynton 03-17-2007 10:48 AM

I wish I could have postponed every stage of my life, including parenthood:

I would have liked to remain unattached longer (I met my wife at around 24). I would have liked to live with my wife longer before getting married (I got married at 28). I would have liked to be married for a longer period before kids too (had my first kid when I just turned 31).

Each stage is fun in its own, but you can never go back.

In a few years, I'll probably also wish that I could have magically had a longer time with the kids when they were young. But in retrospect, one thing I do not regret is waiting too long.

kiemo 03-17-2007 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing will ever compare to the feeling of a small child curling up against you and saying "I love you daddy" nothing. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

About as perfect said as could be as to the ultimate feeling of having children.

Skoob 03-17-2007 11:50 AM

I'm 34, have an 18 month old son.

I never expected parenthood to be this much fun. I also see other children differently than I did, or would have ever imagined.

KKbluff 03-17-2007 11:54 AM

Im good friends with one of my managers that works for me. Hes 24 and just had his 4th, yes FOURTH, child now.
Yes, he does wish he didnt have soo many soo early, but hes told me he doesnt really regret it (although the last 2 were "accidents" due to birth control malfunctions (the pills didnt work he says).
Anyways, sometimes I goto his place after work and all I see is happiness in both him and his children. Yeah, they are a big hassle, but (lucky for him) his wife is very good with children and babysits other children during the day which gives his kids playpals and adds to the income.

I cant imagine having children yet (and Im 26), but that sence of parenthood seems to attract me in a strange way.

My personal gameplan is to impregnate the girlfriend (soon to be wife) in 3-5 years and work from there.

I'll follow up to this post when that happens.

Blarg 03-17-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
although the last 2 were "accidents" due to birth control malfunctions (the pills didnt work he says).

[/ QUOTE ]

Suckerrrrrrrr!