Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   how often do you... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356995)

poker1O1 03-16-2007 09:41 PM

how often do you...

villian is a typical 20/15 TAG. Reasonable stealing and SD stats, assume mostly unknown. hero is just as unknown to villian.
BB is horrible. stats around 30/10. passive.

Full ring (2/3 structure):
hand #1
4 folds
villian raises in MP
3 folds
hero calls in the SB w/ T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB calls
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero checks, BB checks, villian bets, hero raises

hand #2: same situation
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero bets

what if instead hero holds A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

CardSharpCook 03-16-2007 09:45 PM

Re: how often do you...

That's insane! I'd never CC in the SB to a LP raiser!!! NEVER!

poker1O1 03-16-2007 09:48 PM

yea, agreed
edit: MP instead

n.s. 03-16-2007 10:14 PM

PF: I think defending with 9Ts is okay is you think the raiser is stealing, but as CSC said, I think you really need to 3-bet and knock out BB. If the raise is too early to be a steal, I don't like defending here when it's likely to be only 2-3 handed.

Flop: In my experience, trying to represent trips here by betting out or check-raising the flop works basically never. If you think that this guy is capable of big laydowns, you are better off calling and check-raising the turn - but I don't like putting in this much money with no hand and no draw, and you'll often get looked up regardless. I think the only way you'll be able to buy this pot is if the raiser has something like AQ/AJ and misses completely.

poker1O1 03-16-2007 10:32 PM

We're more likely to rep a K than a 7 here. I think the only hands he can call down w/ here have a K in them, no?
(edit: agreed that preflop is blah, but it's the flop play I'm concerned about)

7ontheline 03-16-2007 10:37 PM

Isn't this almost purely dependent on your read of your opponents and your image? Obviously not a play you make every time - maybe once or twice a session though not horrible against a player capable of folding.

CardSharpCook 03-16-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're more likely to rep a K than a 7 here. I think the only hands he can call down w/ here have a K in them, no?
(edit: agreed that preflop is blah, but it's the flop play I'm concerned about)

[/ QUOTE ]

I make a lot of money calling down here with 33/AT.

csi 03-16-2007 10:49 PM

Against a TAG making plays like this is financial suicide.

FOLD preflop.

IF his raise was from LP then, I can see 3 betting out of the SB.

Trying to be tricky with the dog's breakfast OOP against a mostly unkown is just silly.

Justin A 03-16-2007 11:04 PM

I do this fairly often, but only live where I don't expect to get called down by ace high, and usually on a non-paired board. K74 would be way better IMO.

HOWMANY 03-17-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do this fairly often, but only live where I don't expect to get called down by ace high, and usually on a non-paired board. K74 would be way better IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, on this board I think our hand looks a lot like exactly what it is, nothing. So if I had 87s here I would c/r for the same reason.

If I had A9s here, I'm not sure. Maybe c/c flop and decide on the turn. I don't really coldcall in the SB any hands with Aces in them when the pot is likely to be HU, so no clue what I'd really do.

*edit*
Just saw villain wasn't even in CO/button. I'd fold both hands preflop.