Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Improving general knowledge (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352483)

aflaba 03-11-2007 01:33 PM

Improving general knowledge

I'd like to improve my general knowledge. I'd just like to learn about everything so I can take active part in discussions of all sorts. Areas I'd like to increase my knowledge in are "history, politics, religion" and "arts, design, music".

As it is now I have some scattered knowledge in all these fields but I seldom know enough to feel at home talking about topics in these fields for any length of time.

Ideally I'd like to find a manageable number of good resources that let's me get a coherent overview of some or all of these topics. And building on that foundation I'd also like to find resources that put the topics in relation to each other.

Like first reading about the main religions and religious branches of the world, and then learning more about how these religions spread and evolved and affected politics from a historical/political/cultural point of view. And then when I read about arts and design I'd also like to learn about it from a cultural and historical point of view. And put as much as possible in context. This is what creates the most interesting knowledge.

Has there been a good thread about this already?

All of you people who have a broad knowledge humanities and culture, please give advice on which resources will get me a coherent overview of these vast and interesting areas of knowledge.

Yeti 03-11-2007 01:37 PM

Re: Improving general knowledge

Watch a good quiz show. For every answer you didn't know, go read about the subject on Wikipedia.

ed8383 03-11-2007 01:37 PM

beware young grasshopper, knowledge leads to misfortune and heartache. We live in a wild, dirty, evil world and learning more about it will only get you depressed.

Narcileptico 03-11-2007 01:44 PM

Watch Jeopardy 3 times a day. Twice on ABC and once on GSN (in Denver at least).

aflaba 03-11-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch a good quiz show. For every answer you didn't know, go read about the subject on Wikipedia.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a cool suggestion. Wikipedia is my main resource of non-current information. But I'm hoping that there are resources that offer more coherent and connective pictures of than Wikipedia. I believe books that have the intention to give a connective overview will be more time effective, where there are any.

Narcileptico 03-11-2007 01:52 PM

Oh I just realized you're in Sweden. Nevermind on the Jeopardy then.

Peter Harris 03-11-2007 01:55 PM

as someone who learns and deploys a vast amount of useless trivia, i would say don't bother. I never got into a girl's knickers explaining what a lepidopterist was.

im a model 03-11-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh I just realized you're in Sweden. Nevermind on the not making out with men and having down syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange">IIIIIIN YOU FAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!</font>

aflaba 03-11-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as someone who learns and deploys a vast amount of useless trivia, i would say don't bother. I never got into a girl's knickers explaining what a lepidopterist was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, plz, I'd like to learn anyway.

SuperUberBob 03-11-2007 02:32 PM

Anytime I become curious about something or just don't know it, I look it up online if I'm on the computer at the moment.