Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Late in $4/180, 77 on the button (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351215)

markdeeznutz 03-09-2007 04:49 PM

Late in $4/180, 77 on the button

Am I ahead of the limp reraisers range here? If not, am I getting the implied odds to call with these stack sizes?

BB (t16337)
UTG (t6173)
UTG+1 (t3435)
MP1 (t3865)
MP2 (t11195)
CO (t8146)
Hero (t25264)
SB (t35633)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t5000</font>, Hero..?

BlueEcho 03-09-2007 05:20 PM

Re: Late in $4/180, 77 on the button

I'll take a shot here.

You are not getting the implied odds to call here being that the pot is 6700+ any antes and villian only has 6195 left behind to stack off. It costs us 3800 to call into a potential pot of roughly 12895 and that's not enough.

On a side note I'd be interested to see what hand everyone thinks villian plays this way. Limping from MP2 after another limper and reraising your raise seems bizarre to me. It's very likely that you're already ahead here. Or at least +ev to push? After all your not going broke here.

markdeeznutz 03-09-2007 05:27 PM

Well since this isn't getting much attention, I was actually the villain in this hand. I had KK and I decided to play it really different. I felt like there was a good chance that either the button or SB would raise limpers (because they had been doing so pretty frequently) but probably just call a raise. They would be attached to their hands after raising cuz they sucked and thats what happened with this. Unfortunately, a 7 flopped because poker is rigged but oh well. As for my line, does anyone like taking this approach against an aggressive big stack once in a while?

Potowame 03-09-2007 05:41 PM

I would put him on 22-99 A9-AJ K10-KQ..

Its possible 1010 or JJ get in there, but these and anything stronger are hardley ever there. That is of course unless hero was continually raising limpers. This may lead villian to be tricky in this spot with a monster.

BlueEcho 03-09-2007 05:49 PM

So the point of your OP was to prove that the guy who called was wrong to make yourself feel better? This is not a good way of thinking IMO. It goes down the path of being results oriented.

As for this play I think the fact that there is an UTG limper in already complicates things. I like a raise pre-flop better. I'm not a big fan of playing KK multiway if everyone does decide to play nice.

BlueEcho 03-09-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would put him on 22-99 A9-AJ K10-KQ..

Its possible 1010 or JJ get in there, but these and anything stronger are hardley ever there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to know that I'm not alone in my thinking here.

[ QUOTE ]
That is of course unless hero was continually raising limpers. This may lead villian to be tricky in this spot with a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh here as this is what was actually happening since OPer told us in a follow-up post.

I'm still not sure it is a correct play.

luckychewy 03-09-2007 06:28 PM

limp behind pf, i would raise tt+. your hand welcomes a multiway pot and with the button you should easily be able to show a profit post flop here by limping.

as it is i would fold. not sure how often someone overlimps with a big hand, but you aren't getting close to enough implied odds to continue if you think you might be up against a bigger pair. if u think he might be making some erratic steal i would shove because the stacks are so small. you are ~7.5:1 to flop a set and you need preferably more than 11:1 on the call because you sometimes lose when you flop a set and sometimes you flop a set and don't get paid off, so the implied odds aren't even there.

markdeeznutz 03-10-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So the point of your OP was to prove that the guy who called was wrong to make yourself feel better? This is not a good way of thinking IMO. It goes down the path of being results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha.. no that really wasn't my point because its pretty obvious to me that calling with 77 there isn't a winning play even if it might be close against most villains in a $4/180. I had to ask some sort of question to generate responses and ranges without being obvious.

I was just trying to see if anyone would suspect anything with an overlimp reraise. I barely ever even open limp big pairs so this was way out of the ordinary. But I figured this might be a good opportunity to get a lot of chips in as a huge favorite against an overaggressive opponent who has chips to spare and if not, I'd be able to get away from the hand easily because I had a decent stack. In retrospect, I think the villain might have even called a push reraise hoping for a coinflip.

Sherman 03-10-2007 11:52 AM

I'd shove here. I don't think this guy is limping behind with a hand range that is ahead of your hand. I'd expect to see lower pocket pairs, AJ, AT, a lot here. Only hands I am really afraid of are 88 and 99.