Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Minreraised on the FT with AQo (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343500)

Soulman 02-28-2007 04:01 PM

Minreraised on the FT with AQo

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20,000 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t299267)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t490240)</font>
BB (t329917)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t362576)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t90000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ?

$50 at Party. Villain in this hand has been pretty active throughout the FT, both stealing and (to a lesser degree) restealing. Seems decently, but not very competent. I have a tight image, and villain has 99% picked up on this. He has never done anything like this before, all his raises have been straightforward 3x or pushes, no cute minraises either pre- or postflop.

Your move and why? What flops do we like?

registrar 02-28-2007 05:15 PM

Re: Minreraised on the FT with AQo

Well, you know my thoughts on this.

I call because weee I've got AQ, but I don't like it because the only flop we can really like here is TJK. Assuming villain has the standard min-raising hands in this situation, he might not stack off on a ace high flop and if you hit two pair and get action you might be drawing dead.

If he's [censored] with your mind, he'll lead the flop and you'll have to fold. FWIW, having watched the PXF, I don't think he's [censored] with your mind very often at all.

Fiksdal 02-28-2007 05:20 PM

Not saying you should call or reraise here but a point: If you just fold here, the villains at the table are going to get the impression that you open raise REALLY light.

Sherman 02-28-2007 05:27 PM

How is his raise legal? Maybe I still don't understanding the betting rules. You raised from 20-60, which is a raise of 40. I thought by rule, the minimum raise is 40. In which case he would have to raise to 100, yet he raised to 90. WTF?

Fiksdal 02-28-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is his raise legal? Maybe I still don't understanding the betting rules. You raised from 20-60, which is a raise of 40. I thought by rule, the minimum raise is 40. In which case he would have to raise to 100, yet he raised to 90. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes a player is so fishy that a miniraise is not allowed. In these occations the site manager usually steps in and activates the MICRO raise. It is a special weapon which only price winning donkeys get access to.

Potowame 02-28-2007 05:58 PM

Isn't that the International sign for Donky raise when you have KK or AA?

or Master of Mind games and all things hold-em.

I stick with Donky, I hate folding here also just cause as weird as the raise looks a fold would be even weirder looking. But I would have to say that you are check folding 70% + on the Flop.

I don't know which is worse though a fold preflop or check fold on the flop. I think this hand is going to be hard to maintain a great table image either way.

Soulman 03-01-2007 02:14 AM

This is a reply I wrote to registrar
"You know, I thought some more about this. I think the chances of us flopping an ace (11.4%, if my math is right) + other greatness (where other greatness = trips, straights and boats, around 2% or so) makes it worthwhile to call getting 6:1 odds (us needing around 6.5:1 in straight-up odds to call). It's pretty thin, but there's also the chance he's getting clever to factor in. So I don't really think the hand is that interesting after all :/

Oh btw, if he's got aces and and ace falls, I'm going broke. Odds of that are pretty damn slim though, so it barely factors into the decision I think."

And like Fiksdal said, folding here has bad consequences for the future.

The PP hand history must be screwed, since it has him raising to 90k, yet me calling for 40k after raising to 60k...I'm thinking he raised to 100k, just that Party screwed it up.

Anyway, in the actual hand I called, he bet 1/3 of the pot on a ragged board and I folded. Whee.

eigenvalue 03-01-2007 03:27 AM

I'm not that experienced in MTTs like you, but in 6 max ring games it will be QQ+ very often. So I will never see a flop here and fold.

Soulman 03-01-2007 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not that experienced in MTTs like you, but in 6 max ring games it will be QQ+ very often. So I will never see a flop here and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think this is QQ+ 90%+ of the time here as well. However, for the math reasons stated + image reasons, I think calling PF is ok, but borderline.

Soulman 03-01-2007 03:59 AM

FWIW villain did the exact same thing later on at the FT vs another player with KK.