Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Blue Screen of Death (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343365)

MikeyObviously 02-28-2007 12:37 PM

Blue Screen of Death

Every time I turn on my computer I immediately get a blue screen of death now. Sometimes it is before windows loading, and sometimes it is 10 secs into windows loading.

What can I do? I need a new puter anyways...but I still would like to rig it so I have time to back up the current system.

It will not start in safe mode.

Thanks...

Grunch 02-28-2007 12:51 PM

Re: Blue Screen of Death

I would start by unplungging every unnecesarry peripheral and keep trying to boot in safe mode.

If nothing works and you plan to buy a new PC, it will always be possible to connect the old hard disc to the new PC and get your data that way by using an external enclosure for the old hard drive.

goldtoes 02-28-2007 01:01 PM

I would check to make sure all of your fans/heatsinks are free of dust and are running properly when the computer is on because it sounds like it is overheating.

But if you do buy a new PC, all you would have to do is install your current hard drive as a slave drive in the new PC and carry over and documents or files that you need.

SamIAm 02-28-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check to make sure all of your fans/heatsinks are free of dust and are running properly when the computer is on because it sounds like it is overheating.

But if you do buy a new PC, all you would have to do is install your current hard drive as a slave drive in the new PC and carry over and documents or files that you need.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are harddrive errors that can give a bluescreen, right? You guys are probably right about hooking the old drive into the new machine, but I thought I'd throw-out the possibility that the harddrive could be screwy, too.

MikeyObviously 02-28-2007 01:13 PM

ok thanks for the advice guys. I know what kind of puter does the job I need it to do...but what do you guys think is the most cost efficient way to purchase a new pc? when I say cost efficient, that also means opportunity cost as I play for a living.

So how bad of a rip off would it be to just walk out of costco/best buy/etc... with a computer I can use same day? Are there discount internet retailers that can get a new box to me within two days?

MikeyObviously 02-28-2007 01:23 PM

yeah, i cleaned it out...I even have one of those aircans with the little straw for some reason. it isn't working...it was 500 dollars 5 years ago. Time to move on...

Grunch 02-28-2007 01:59 PM

The only experiences I've had with a blue light special type of PC have all been bad. I've found you generally get what you pay for. If at all possible, I'd just go with Dell. Spring for the expidited service if opportunity cost is a major problem.

goldtoes 02-28-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok thanks for the advice guys. I know what kind of puter does the job I need it to do...but what do you guys think is the most cost efficient way to purchase a new pc? when I say cost efficient, that also means opportunity cost as I play for a living.

So how bad of a rip off would it be to just walk out of costco/best buy/etc... with a computer I can use same day? Are there discount internet retailers that can get a new box to me within two days?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely your best bet is to get a new PC since your existing one is so old.

As far as walking into a retail store and getting ripped off, they generally have OK deals but what you can't do is go in there looking for a certain grade PC and walk out with something different. They have a tenancy to either give you something really cheap or something way over the top that you don't need.

MikeyObviously 03-01-2007 12:13 PM

on my way back home yesterday i randomly ran into a custom computer shop and had this built:

AMD duelcore 3800
1G DDR2 ram
160g hard drive
duel monitor video card 5600 something
2 video card mother board
XP home
cd burner
350v power
extra fan

750 dollars. Ready tomorrow, AND they are making my old HDD a slave for me...ship it?

goldtoes 03-01-2007 12:36 PM

not too bad of a system. probably a little more for what you could have found it online but at least now you have somewhere local to take it and bitch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]