Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Just weird 100r hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336912)

Bond18 02-20-2007 06:07 PM

Just weird 100r hand

Villain was like 14/4 over 40. Seemed kinda weak and straight forward. I raised his turn bet because it looked super weak and i figured with his straight forward image it meant weakness and i had probably 7 outs unless hes got diamond draw in which case who knows i might be value raising best hand.
Blinds 400/800
My stack: 23k
His stack: 16k

PF i am CO holding A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villain is BB

Pre flop: Folds to me on CO, i raise to 2200, folds to BB, BB calls.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, hero checks

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB thinks for some time then bets 1600, hero raises to 4400, BB thinks quite a while and calls.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain thinks, bets 4800, hero folds.

General comments? FPS on the turn or does it need to be bigger?

Airharley 02-20-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Just weird 100r hand

I probably would have cbet at least 1/2 pot since you opened, and then evaluate after his moves. If he calls, then I would guess he's strong here. If he missed the flop, my guess is he simply folds. Smells like he caught a set or 2 pair, either on the flop or river. If that's the case, I think you save some money cbetting the flop rather then raising the turn.

AragornX151 02-20-2007 06:19 PM

That's a particularly bad flop for your hand, and one that could have hit preflop caller in a # of ways. He is calling off 10% of his stack, so he has something. Any reads on his style?

Personally, I either fire a half pot bet on flop here and then shut down if played with, or just give it up and check behind / fold. The turn raise seems risky and I'm not sure it has positive equity. What are you representing? The board is too draw heavy to slowplay trips, AA, two pair, etc...a spiked set of 5's, maybe.

holdemft 02-20-2007 07:35 PM

i would have cbet the flop, you might have picked it up right there. As played, the turn raise was too small, he only needed to put 2800 more into a pot of 11,600, so he's getting 4-1. It looks like villain had you on the diamond draw, so you could have taken the pot down on the river with a diamond, unfortunately one didn't hit. I think he played it like he had TPNK.

grafyx 02-20-2007 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

General comments? FPS on the turn or does it need to be bigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

A flop check is fine on a flop with that texture.

When I first read this hand, I thought that the turn raise should be bigger if you want to try this play because there is about 11.2k in the pot and he only has to call 2800 more.

On second thought, it might not be a bad raise size if you plan to follow through with a river shove on any card that isn't a total blank. When he calls, the pot is about 14k and he has about 10k left. If you raise more than 4k on the flop, you have to give the bluff up if he calls because the pot will be too big for him to fold to a shove.

Bond18 02-21-2007 03:03 AM

Yea i was highly considering a river shove, unless it was a 6/A/diamond.

Once head lead into me though that was obviously dashed.

DDBeast 02-21-2007 03:15 AM

I play it the same. If he checked the river, I would have fired out another.

starstx 02-23-2007 02:16 PM

You have to cbet the flop. Then at least raise more on the turn. You picked up no information on this hand and really gave the BB no reason to fold.

grafyx 02-23-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea i was highly considering a river shove, unless it was a 6/A/diamond.

Once head lead into me though that was obviously dashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not shove a diamond that doesn't improve your hand? Do you think he would check the river after hitting the flush? I would read him for a marginal 1 pair hand based and would probably try to take him off it. Is he really going to call a pot sized river shove with weak Q after the flush hits?

DDBeast 02-23-2007 04:22 PM

I agree, a diamond is one of the best cards you could hope for. No way he checks a flush, then he's just asking for you to pick up the pot.