Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Home delivery of groceries (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=332713)

Ghazban 02-15-2007 11:54 AM

Home delivery of groceries

Does anybody have any comments on home grocery delivery services? (like Stop and Shop's Peapod in the Boston area-- I assume other such services exist elsewhere). I have no food in my house at the moment and the weather and roads are so crappy that I have little desire to de-ice my car to drive to the store.

Any good/bad experiences with these types of services are appreciated. Also, do you tip the delivery guy? There's a delivery charge built into the order but I normally tip pizza/chinese delivery people even when that's the case.

beenben 02-15-2007 11:57 AM

Re: Home delivery of groceries

My sister / brother in law tried it and did not care for it.

There was not enough selection. and you couldn't do things your way like you were shopping at the store - e.g. one spouse likes green grapes, other likes red/purple - at the store you can take some of each. but w/ their home delivery service you had to pick, or order both which was more than you could eat.

Ghazban 02-15-2007 12:05 PM

I'm browsing the site now and you're right that the selection kind of sucks. It's also weird to shop for food this way (though I do almost all my other shopping online). I'm basically just looking to get some essentials (bread, milk, etc.) to tide me over for a few days.

turnipmonster 02-15-2007 12:07 PM

pretty much everyone in nyc uses fresh direct, it's very popular and the produce has been very good the times I have used them.

Ghazban 02-15-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much everyone in nyc uses fresh direct, it's very popular and the produce has been very good the times I have used them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you tip the delivery guy?

turnipmonster 02-15-2007 12:41 PM

I do, not everyone does. they frequently will deliver groceries when ppl aren't home

J-Mac 02-15-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you tip the delivery guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually give him five bucks on a standard order, yes.

Sponger. 02-15-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically just looking to get some essentials (bread, milk, etc.) to tide me over for a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I couldn't imagine ever getting food delivered for anything other than staple items like that. Whenever I go shopping I just kind of go without any list, which isn't really practical for people with families but its kind of nice to just go there and walk around and pick up most of my things on impulses. Not only would it be hard to figure out exactly what I needed before I got there, but its kind of fun discovering new things and just picking out stuff that is the best deal. Also ordering all this stuff online inches us all one step closer to being hermits who are glued to our computers.

XXXNoahXXX 02-15-2007 12:46 PM

I live in Boston and my car was parked since Monday. This morning I walked out to my car where it was not covered in snow, it was not covered in ice, it was covered in some sort of a frozen forcefield. I literally had to assault the car with the scraper, cutting out square chunks and removing them like I was cutting a birthday cake made of steel. Then on top of that, I had to use those bricks of ice to stick under my wheels to give them traction.

In summary, use Peapod or take the T to like the Shaw's on Comm Ave. or whatever is closest and just get a couple bag's worth of the essentials.

MyNameIsSamSnead 02-15-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In summary, use Peapod or take the T to like the Shaw's on Huntington or whatever is closest and just get a couple bag's worth of the essentials.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
This Shaw's is so much better that it's worth the extra time. Plus they sell booze....and are open 24 hrs