Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Saudi Arabia - to go, or not to go (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=332299)

Duke 02-14-2007 09:47 PM

Saudi Arabia - to go, or not to go

A project in Saudi Arabia that has come up as a possibility, and my first instinct was that I'd sooner go to Singapore. Singapore is near the top of my "will never go to" list, alongside North Korea and much of the middle east.

I did some searching on the internet, and there are apparently some travel warnings, a whole lot of religious police looking for excuses to stick people in prison, any number of ways to get arrested, and many more to be stuck in the country without much hope of ever getting out. I haven't yet had a chance to contact my "Arab consultant," but as I said, I'm leaning more than Michael Jackson in the Smooth Criminal video toward not going. About a year ago I was afraid of going to Mexico, but I'm thinking that this fear is more well founded.

Now, I don't know how bad it really is over there for someone like me, so was wondering if anyone in this forum has ever been there, or knows anyone there, or lives there (pretty unlikely I'm guessing). Any and all advice is welcomed, and hopefully this thread can limit itself to the actual security concerns for someone who could never pass for a local, given the current global climate. Politics is a different forum.

Assuming it's a game of Russian roulette, how many chambers have bullets in them? Assuming you make $500 a day normally (this is not my real number, but I figure most people can relate to that), what would it take to get you to go? Am I an idiot for even considering it?

Bill Murphy 02-14-2007 09:57 PM

Re: Saudi Arabia - to go, or not to go

[ QUOTE ]
A project in Saudi Arabia that has come up as a possibility, and my first instinct was that I'd sooner go to Singapore. Singapore is near the top of my "will never go to" list, alongside North Korea and much of the middle east.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong w/Singapore? I'd go there in a heartbeat, tho ya gotta cut that hair. Musta been a typo on your part.

As for Saudi Arabia, our dear friends and allies in the global war on terror don't allow booze, gambling, or sex on their holy soil. I had a friend who worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years. Made good jack, but they rushed him & his family out w/everyone else before the Iraq war started.

For the money they'd have to pay me, I'd be gone after the third paycheck. F'em.

Dubai now, hell, yeah.

Duke 02-14-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong w/Singapore? I'd go there in a heartbeat, tho ya gotta cut that hair. Musta been a typo on your part.

As for Saudi Arabia, our dear friends and allies in the global war on terror don't allow booze, gambling, or sex on their holy soil. I had a friend who worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years. Made good jack, but they rushed him & his family out w/everyone else before the Iraq war started.

For the money they'd have to pay me, I'd be gone after the third paycheck. F'em.

Dubai now, hell, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was kinda wishing that they could just bring all their stuff to Dubai, and I'd gladly meet them there to do my thing.

EDIT: And Singapore, well, their draconian laws have me afraid of ever going there. I figure I'd get put away for life for spitting some gum out or something.

XXXNoahXXX 02-14-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dubai now, hell, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was kinda wishing that they could just bring all their stuff to Dubai, and I'd gladly meet them there to do my thing.

EDIT: And Singapore, well, their draconian laws have me afraid of ever going there. I figure I'd get put away for life for spitting some gum out or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you've talked about this in the past, but mind sharing what "your thing" is?

Duke 02-14-2007 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dubai now, hell, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you've talked about this in the past, but mind sharing what "your thing" is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Computer stuff for an oil company, in this case. And it'd be a 2 week deal. If that's relevant, then sweet. I figured that the safety concerns would apply to pretty much everyone.

jaffa 02-14-2007 10:12 PM

I think if you respect their various cultures and mannerisms you'll be fine. Saudi Arabia isn't a nice place, but it's not iraq either, you should be fine. Its not a touristy destination, but you're going for work, so that shouldn't be a problem don't plan on having much fun though.

Say you're Canadian just to be on the safe side.

Edit: 2 weeks, thats quite a while to be stuck in a pretty strict and serious country. Its really a case of how much you value the money you'll be getting + any future career prospects from the work.

Duke 02-14-2007 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you respect their various cultures and mannerisms you'll be fine. Saudi Arabia isn't a nice place, but it's not iraq either, you should be fine. Its not a touristy destination, but you're going for work, so that shouldn't be a problem don't plan on having much fun though. How long are you over there for?

Say you're Canadian just to be on the safe side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I agree, it would be for 2 weeks. The internet has scared me as far as the number of ways that I could get stuck there, or imprisoned. The need to have both exit and entrance visas seems pretty sketchy.

By-Tor 02-14-2007 10:22 PM

no [censored] way i'd ever go to saudi

cbloom 02-14-2007 10:23 PM

In Saudi Arabia you'll usually live in an American enclave which is very safe and very boring.

Duke 02-14-2007 10:34 PM

A non-arab buddy of mine just said that it's probably +EV, but the variance could be insane.

My uncle has some employees stationed over there, and mentioned that they're very fond of ketchup and potato chips, and that it's not that bad.

My Arab consultant is in Mexico and unreachable, but his wife said that it's not as bad as it looks on TV.

My gut tells me to do it for 10x or more of my normal rate (an oil company should be able to swing that), but also that negotiations would end up settling in on 3x-4x with me then turning it down. This thread is supposed to end up letting me know if I'm dumb to be afraid of going there for 3x-4x my normal pay, or if I should avoid the greed and be safe.