Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NBA - Abolish 3-Point Line? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330317)

Aloysius 02-12-2007 08:27 PM

NBA - Abolish 3-Point Line?

What say you? Good or bad?

Scott Skiles, Doc Rivers among others chime in on the issue

True Hoop Guest Blogger Kevin Arnovitz Thoughts

-Al

Jack of Arcades 02-12-2007 08:42 PM

Re: NBA - Abolish 3-Point Line?

The 3-point line doesn't seem to have had an effect on scoring in the NBA.

I've never known anything other than the 3-point line, honestly, and I don't know how I'd feel about a game without it. If it would truly lead to a more motion oriented style of play I'd probably support it.

It seems to me that you have to consider zone defenses when talking about the three point debate.

MyTurn2Raise 02-12-2007 08:43 PM

I'm against it unless they increase the size of the lane

there will be too much bunching inside IMO.

jstnrgrs 02-12-2007 08:43 PM

I think a better idea would be to abolish free throws.

Richard Tanner 02-12-2007 08:51 PM

Oh sweet Zombie Jesus no! There's no reason to do it, except to bunch the players further inside, which won't help anything.

Funny note on that first article: It's nice to see Pacers GM D. Walsh cheering for keeping the 3 point line. If you listen closely you can probably still hear the echo of the Reggie, Reggie chants.

Cody

Aloysius 02-12-2007 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that you have to consider zone defenses when talking about the three point debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you allowed zone defense, there would just be crazy fouling as everyone just bunches and sags without 3-point threat.

Kind of interesting to mull over conceptually (really can't see League ever instituting this rule) as we see 3s become a bigger and bigger part of NBA game.

I think there are way too many 3s in college and they should move the line back (though I guess there's the parity issue).

-Al

kidcolin 02-12-2007 08:57 PM

The college 3 line is a joke.

I think the argument is legitimate, but I can't ever see getting rid of it. It's a two-edged sword: it provides some really exciting moments, but I think it ultimately makes the game less fun to watch.

Homer 02-12-2007 08:58 PM

I'd rather add a 4-point line.

SuperUberBob 02-12-2007 09:04 PM

No. This is like Skip Bayless arguing against abolishing field goals and extra points.

SBR 02-12-2007 09:05 PM

What about moving it back a foot? Or to the point where it starts in the corners of the court?