Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The 5x Raise (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330012)

Rusty Nails 02-12-2007 01:52 PM

The 5x Raise

Villian is a solid player. I've been at his table for 7-8 orbits and this is his first open-raise. He has restolen 3 times from a weak player on the button (none shown), and flat called raises in position 3 times (showing AA and QQ).

As an aside, I'm seeing players flatcall in position with big pps a lot more. Any thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP (t138673)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t146523)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t59810)</font>
BB (t48608)
UTG (t146386)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t20000</font>, Hero ??

wheelflush 02-12-2007 02:06 PM

Re: The 5x Raise

this is very interesting. at the risk of disrespecting villain, i would say he's making a mistake here. that doesn't make it right for 77 to call though. M=10. first one to show aggression usually wins, and he should. let him have it. you'll get yours soon enough.

betgo 02-12-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is very interesting. at the risk of disrespecting villain, i would say he's making a mistake here. that doesn't make it right for 77 to call though. M=10. first one to show aggression usually wins, and he should. let him have it. you'll get yours soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is essentially the same as an overbet push. He doesn't want anyone to think they can resteal. I probably push, because if he has a higher pair than 77, he probably wants action.

tendog 02-12-2007 02:25 PM

I think alot of people raise 5x on the button to tell you there not folding. considering how he played AA QQ you can be pretty sure its not one of these hands. i would guess the range of his is every medium strength hand. For the button that is aboout every pocket pair 10 and below every broadway etc. i dont expect you to be crushing his range but i would suspect you are a bit ahead of it.

i supppose stop and go is also an option if you want to create fold equity. however, dont think you can fold this in this spot.

i would guess your racing because he probably has a decent hand just something he would prefer to take the blinds down with and call if necessary.

the main reason to flat call big pocket pair is to disgise the strength of your hand. it seems like the wrong thing to do though if you have been actively repopping people though.

Kyer 02-12-2007 02:26 PM

What´s the buy-in? At the 5$-11$ 5x more often than not means TT or JJ.

Rusty Nails 02-12-2007 02:38 PM

$15 MTT. Should have mentioned that.

tendog 02-12-2007 03:24 PM

you are not often going to find someone with a range that tight on the button (i.e. you can defintiely put them on TT and JJ)

For some overly tight players you might be correct, that their definition of an unfoldable hand is fairly narrow. However, if their range is more reasonable (at leasst what they should not be willing to fold it should include at mimimum evey pocket pair and A7+ KQ. So yeah, you might not be kiling his range but id probably still call.

wheelflush 02-12-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5x more often than not means TT or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's what i was thinking.
a stop and go works better off a standard raiser. this guy is not folding the flop push. he's greedy. he thinks his hand is best and it probably is.

Fiksdal 02-12-2007 03:34 PM

Any thoughts on Hero's FE here?

Bond18 02-12-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on Hero's FE here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 5% of the time. Occasionally some spaz who doesn't understand odds thinks "oh [censored], he went all in on me for 3X my raise, guess i gotta fold."

I'd prolly shove here if i've seen him be aggressive in LP at all. If hes quite passive, fold.