Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   DVD Club February week 3/4 nominations + Voting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329946)

diebitter 02-12-2007 12:06 PM

DVD Club February week 3/4 nominations + Voting

Okay, I came up on the random generator this time, and I've decided on picking semi-obscure but tremendous films of British cinema:

Black Narcissus
Get Carter (1971)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Man who would be King
Zulu

I llove all 5 of these movies, and I think they are all good movies to promote discussion. Some brief reasons.

Black Narcissus - A subtle-ish study of repressed female sexuality unparalleled in cinema

Get Carter - The best gangster movie ever made, it's that simple.

The Wicker Man - A genuinely unique film. Scary, funny, musical, extremely sexual in imagery and tone, mysterious, and straangely weird and life-affirming. And a terrific acting job by Edward Woodward. Oh, and nutty as hell.

The Man who would be king + Zulu - Something here that I think enlightens people on the British character...

mrbaseball 02-12-2007 12:19 PM

Re: DVD Club February week 3/4 nominations + Voting

Get Carter

I haven't seen Get Carter or Black Narcissus but have seen the others although none in a very long while. So almost any of these would seem new to me. If Get Carter is the best ganster movie ever I need to see it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fyodor 02-12-2007 12:21 PM

The Man Who Would Be King - I would love an excuse to watch this again.

btw - the Raising Arizona discussion I guess is set to begin this Friday?

the Naked discussion petered out pretty damn quick. How many people are in this club?

edit: Just checked and it seems 12 people voted in the Naked nomination thread. 8 of them got in on the discussion as well as 3 or 4 people who hadn't voted. Looks like the club is alive and well!

diebitter 02-12-2007 01:06 PM

Yes, I did mean to say, Raising Arizona discussion starts on Friday 16th Feb.

diebitter 02-12-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get Carter

I haven't seen Get Carter or Black Narcissus but have seen the others although none in a very long while. So almost any of these would seem new to me. If Get Carter is the best ganster movie ever I need to see it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's maybe building it up too high. I should say, it's IN MY OPINION, the best gangster film ever made [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

KDawg 02-12-2007 01:51 PM

get carter

katyseagull 02-12-2007 02:12 PM

Ok here's my position on this whole movie thing. I do not want to watch any more super duper depressing movies right now! Just watched In the Bedroom this weekend and now I feel like killing myself [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] This on the heels of Naked. Gahh. I am so bummed out. So if any of these are super duper depressing then please tell me up front.

[ QUOTE ]

Black Narcissus - A subtle-ish study of repressed female sexuality unparalleled in cinema

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, repressed sexuality huh. Sounds kind of intriguing. Is this movie any good?

diebitter 02-12-2007 02:23 PM

Get Carter is pretty bleak, but none of these movies are depressing.

SoloAJ 02-12-2007 03:32 PM

I'll go for Get Carter.

diebitter 02-12-2007 03:39 PM

oh, given the slide for Get Carter at the moment, I'll say Wicker Man.