Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Euthanasia, a right to die with dignity (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320781)

MidGe 02-01-2007 06:54 AM

Euthanasia, a right to die with dignity

Here is a link to a just published article about a doctor in Australia, that had to travel to Switzerland, to ensure a dignified death. As I have posted before, I fully support this way of exiting life, and barring unpredictable ( [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) accidents, I will choose the same way.

PS This is self chosen euthanasia, not a decision by relatives or state.

flipdeadshot22 02-01-2007 07:22 AM

Re: Euthanasia, a right to die with dignity

A persons right to die with dignity should be respected as a personal freedom and protected by constitutional legislation. Thank you for the article.

Darryl_P 02-01-2007 10:12 AM

It's too bad you guys in Australia have to put up with such stupid laws.

soon2bepro 02-01-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A persons right to die should be respected as a personal freedom

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

FortunaMaximus 02-01-2007 11:35 AM

Of course an individual's right to determine the course of his or her own life is solely in the judgment of the individual.

In health-related terminal illness cases, this is a very obvious concept, and the rights should be respected.

As for individuals that are judged unfit to determine their right to take their own life. I tend to think that there should be an attempt to help them try to look at it in a better light, and if that simply does not help, then you have to think if they feel, despite their apparent inability to correctly judge the merits, that it is better for them to take their own life...

Let be what may.

revots33 02-01-2007 12:29 PM

Laws that take away a person's right to die are a violation of the separation of church and state IMO.

Check out this web page on euthanasia (scroll down to the section on "Why Life is worth living: What the Bible teaches"). It lists six reasons why euthanasia is contrary to god's law, including "our bodies belong to God anyway" and "suffering draws us closer to God."

So if you are suffering and simply want to die peacefully and with dignity, sorry but we think your suffering is a good thing.

hashi92 02-01-2007 12:39 PM

It would be really easy to use this as a cover up for murder.

hashi92 02-01-2007 12:43 PM

What about insurance do they still have to pay.

Metric 02-01-2007 02:36 PM

If I ever start caughing up my lungs due to terminal, malignant cancer, I sure don't need a doctor to finish me off. I'm more likely to take a hot-air balloon to altitude over the middle of the city, dump out a bag full of encrypted maps to buried treasure, and then jump headfirst from altitude into the 50 yard line of a college football game as it's being televised live.

At least, this seems the most interesting way to check out as of right now...

valenzuela 02-01-2007 02:39 PM

Those who are agaisnt euthanasia think that we have some kinda obligation to do what they think its correct, at least this is how I view the whole issue.