Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How would you play KK in this situation? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320715)

TheStitch 02-01-2007 04:05 AM

How would you play KK in this situation?

Hi guys,
I need your advice here. Last night I entered a MTT with 66 starters. After about 1 hour of play the following situation occurred:

9 players at the table.
SB (Villian) 1900 chips - has a pretty loose image. Tries to enter any cheap pot with almost any two cards.
BB (Hero) 850 chips - has a very tight image, hasn't played a single hand yet
UTG 1700 chips - conservative player
UTG+1 1100 chips - mix of loose and conservative
MP1 700 chips - tight
MP2 400 chips - pretty loose
MP3 - 800 chips - loose
LP1 - 1500 chips - tight
Button - 1100 chips - loose

Blinds are 20/40

UTG to LP1 all fold
Button limps in
SB calls

Hero finds K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

How would you play them? Check? Raise? If so, how much?

(I will tell you later how I played it, just want some information on how you guys would play it...)

creamfillin 02-01-2007 04:17 AM

Re: How would you play KK in this situation?

considering the loose sb and button i would make it 160 and expect a call from either of them

nath 02-01-2007 04:23 AM

make it 150

Soulman 02-01-2007 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
make it 150

[/ QUOTE ]

TheStitch 02-01-2007 05:08 AM

You all would raise, even though you have an extremely tight image? Interesting.
Ok, here's how I played it.

I thought, if I raise, everyone will fold because of my image, so I checked.

The flop was 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The SB raised 500

I thought for a moment (no flush draw, maybe a straight draw). Again I figured, if I reraise him, he will probably fold and after all, I want to extract as many chips from him as possible. I actually just called.

Button folds.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB goes all-in.

Basically the same thought process came along: No straight draw, maybe a flush draw.
I knew him to be pretty loose and would expect him to do a play like this with any pair, so I called.

He turns over 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The River is 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and my Kings hold so I can double up.

I asked him later, how he would have reacted to a raise.
He said, he would have thrown his hand as far away as possible, because of my tight image. But because I only called his raises, he thought I was on a draw and wanted to make that expensive.

SinPies 02-01-2007 05:14 AM

If he had turned over 89o this post would have had a completely different tone.

So we learned something tonight: there is more than one way to be results-oriented.

TheStitch 02-01-2007 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had turned over 89o this post would have had a completely different tone.

So we learned something tonight: there is more than one way to be results-oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]
True!
But what it showed to me, was that sometimes gut feeling is enough to justify a play like this and that slowplaying can be a very good strategy when you have an extremely tight image.

beenben 02-01-2007 05:32 AM

I read the whole thread before replying but I still think you should have raised. 1) they might not have folded. if they're loose, they want to see a flop. 2) if you're so tight that a raise generates folds then don't play so tight 3) since they're so loose you're going to have no idea where you're at if you don't raise. Unless you flop a set, you're not going to know if you're ahead or not. What if the flop had an A?

nath 02-01-2007 05:42 AM

lmao @ the guy betting 500 into a pot of 120

op, you played this hand badly at every step and got lucky

Jay S 02-01-2007 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The SB raised 500

I thought for a moment (no flush draw, maybe a straight draw). Again I figured, if I reraise him, he will probably fold and after all, I want to extract as many chips from him as possible. I actually just called.

[/ QUOTE ]
If my arithmetic is correct, you called for 500 of your remaining 810 chips. There is no way he'd fold for 310 more into a pot of 1400+ on that flop with two cards to come.

As for your primary question, I agree with everyone else. Your EV can't possibly be going up by checking preflop against loose players.