Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tie vs No Tie, rate the ballerness. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318287)

Dids 01-29-2007 05:24 PM

Tie vs No Tie, rate the ballerness.

Friends and I are going out to nice steakhouse for a b-day dinner on Wednesday.

Per the B-Day boy, the point of this event isn't so much "eat nice food" but it's "go out and be ballers and drop $100 on a dinner" (let us not discuss the lunacy of this notion at this time, just focus that our goal here is "baller").

Now I'd probably just wear a nice shirt and slacks for this sort of thing, so this essentially means that I'll be rocking a suit coat in addition (this is assuming I've shrunk enough to fit into my suit coat, I may be left with my leather, which actually works in these situations).

The others are likely to be wearing ties with jackets and coats (note that this is Seattle and there's like zero places here that aren't exclusive clubs that require a jacket).

It is my contention that it's actually NON baller to be rocking a tie in this context, and instead you'll just look like you're out for a business tie. I'm thinking the tie is a little square and/or a little too obviously "I'm trying to look like a grown up/money"

OOT?

<font color="white"> Prediction: Guids is in favor of tie </font>

The X-Factor 01-29-2007 05:27 PM

Re: Tie vs No Tie, rate the ballerness.

Rock the tie. If you cant fit in the suit you want to wear just buy a new one.

stabn 01-29-2007 05:42 PM

This is in seattle. No tie.

miajag 01-29-2007 05:43 PM

I really like the jacket/no tie look, and think it works really well for bigger guys.

private joker 01-29-2007 05:45 PM

No tie is the way to go.

I only wear ties on occasions where ties are completely unnecessary. I wear them to dance clubs (like Brit-pop/indie rock nights) with jeans and sneakers, and I wear them to house parties and whatnot (also with jeans and sneakers). But slacks and dress shoes and blazers should accompany the no-tie look.

guids 01-29-2007 05:47 PM

You predicted wrong my friend. I actualyl agree with you on this one, I will wear a tie to a meeting, funeral, wedding, etc, but when Im out with friends ballin out in style, Im much more in favor of a flashy shirt and a nice suit sans tie

octopi 01-29-2007 05:49 PM

No tie is less try hard, more relaxed. You can still look sharp without a tie, too.

JimHammer 01-29-2007 05:50 PM

This immediately came to mind......

TIEdup14 01-29-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No tie is the way to go.

I only wear ties on occasions where ties are completely unnecessary. I wear them to dance clubs (like Brit-pop/indie rock nights) with jeans and sneakers, and I wear them to house parties and whatnot (also with jeans and sneakers). But slacks and dress shoes and blazers should accompany the no-tie look.

[/ QUOTE ]

-_-

Spanaway Vin 01-29-2007 05:58 PM

That friend never said he wanted it to be baller. He said that he wanted a nice "sit down, grown up" dinner. The amount of $$$ spent on the dinner IS relevant to him though.

EDIT: No, I am NOT that friend.