Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   A question about fairness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=316163)

jstnrgrs 01-26-2007 11:19 PM

A question about fairness

Suppose that there are 3 employees at a particular place of work. All three have been on the job for the same amount of time, have the same background, and are equally good workers. They all make the same ammount of money, and receive the same benefits.

One year, all three employees find that they would like to take extra vacation time (beyond their normal allotment). They all ask their supervisor (they all have the same supervisor) if they can take extra time off. Employee A is given extra time off. Employee B is given the extra time off, but told that it will count against his vacation time for the following year. Employee C is not allowed to take extra time off.

Note that their is no descernable difference between these employees.

RJT 01-26-2007 11:35 PM

Re: A question about fairness

The supervisor.

Taraz 01-26-2007 11:43 PM

It depends. If they all have the same job I would say it's unfair to B and C. If they have different duties though the supervisor might need some more than others.

revots33 01-26-2007 11:47 PM

Seems that employee A was given preferential treatment, which is unfair to both B and C.

vhawk01 01-26-2007 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems that employee A was given preferential treatment, which is unfair to both B and C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its unfair to him too. Just in a positive way. Or do we call that hyperfair?

Xhad 01-27-2007 12:01 AM

How did the supervisor arrive at this decision?

jstnrgrs 01-27-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The supervisor.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

jstnrgrs 01-27-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends. If they all have the same job I would say it's unfair to B and C. If they have different duties though the supervisor might need some more than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason that the supervisor would need some more than others.

jstnrgrs 01-27-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did the supervisor arrive at this decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is irrelevant. Lets say it was random.

luckyme 01-27-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All three have been on the job for the same amount of time, have the same background, and are equally good workers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know in an imaginary scenario I should pretend the above premises are true, but in the real world the chances of that are zero.
On another approach when you accept a job you accept it on the terms quoted and you don't have an expectation of favors.

There is no way to judge whether there was any unfairness involved here.

luckyme