Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Your dream "retirement" career (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=313963)

nyc999 01-24-2007 12:13 PM

Your dream \"retirement\" career

I frequently read stories about people who quit in the midst of successful careers to pursue their ideal career, even though it pays far less. An example would be the Wall St. guy who quits his job and starts a B&B in Cape Cod or something like that.

While most of us our at least mildly happy with our chosen career paths, I'm sure nearly everyone would rather be doing something different (obviously income/wealth gets in the way).

So what is your ideal "retirement" career, that is, once you've made enough bank, what would you like to do?

Personally, I would like to exit my career when I'm around 45 - 50 and purchase a small vineyard.

Obviously things like rock star and professional athlete don't count because it takes a level of ability that you presumably do not possess. However, hookers and blow is acceptable.

A S U 01-24-2007 12:18 PM

Re: Your dream \"retirement\" career

When I retire I want to do nothing. Maybe travel a bit, but the last thing I wanna do is work ever again.

amplify 01-24-2007 12:19 PM

I just want to live on a farm and have 12 dogs. How about Veterinarian.

talentdeficit 01-24-2007 12:24 PM

i'd probably go back to school and do my masters in history or anthropology. then not much. maybe write.

nyc999 01-24-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I retire I want to do nothing. Maybe travel a bit, but the last thing I wanna do is work ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should re-phrase - not retirement (age 65), but if you've made a decent living by late 30's/40's and you can afford to do what you want, but still need some type of income.

Alobar 01-24-2007 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should re-phrase - not retirement (age 65), but if you've made a decent living by late 30's/40's and you can afford to do what you want, but still need some type of income.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then Id keep doing what Im doing for a couple more years until I can afford to retire and do nothing.

solids 01-24-2007 12:29 PM

if i was financially secure enough, i would travel the world and be a photographer.

davelin 01-24-2007 12:30 PM

Owning a comic book shop.

Bicycles_Biatch 01-24-2007 12:31 PM

run a bar that has no tables.... only stools.

UncleSalty 01-24-2007 12:32 PM

My dream is similar to your vineyard idea, it's owning a small winery in a resort town. Ideally I would like to open it in Steamboat, where I would truck in my grapes from Oregon and California and make my wine on the premises. The tasting room would double as a small jazz club/wine bar at night.