Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Bethesda making Fallout 3? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310619)

SBR 01-20-2007 11:51 AM

Bethesda making Fallout 3?

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand they are one of the few studios who is competent at making RPGs on the other hand I'm not sure I trust them to not just make Oblivion v2.

Anyone know why the ex-Black Isle people at Obsidian didn't buy the rights? Was it just a matter of cash/timing?

madnak 01-20-2007 03:27 PM

Re: Bethesda making Fallout 3?

It's not necessarily going to be the kind of whitewash you'd expect. But it's not necessarily going to be good, either. Bethesda is willing to make experimental games, thankfully, but the production values tend to be lower (Call of Cthulu).

At least it can't be worse than the other recent Fallout sequels. It'll be too much to hope for it to be turn-based, but a 3d "spiritual" sequel might be nice. Frankly, it's probably better in Bethesda's hands than in Obsidian's - they're botching things up more even more than Troika did, and I'm tired of games with lots of heart but poor execution.

SBR 01-20-2007 03:31 PM

True but I feel like Obsidian's main problem right now is they aren't being given enough time on their projects. Maybe I'm looking for excuses but there is some really great stuff in Obsidian's releases it just doesn't have the polish or consistency it should.

You are correct that this game is a virtual lock to be better than anything since Fallout 2.

Dire 01-20-2007 06:04 PM

I really don't see good things coming from this. Fallout was really driven by a fun/interesting story, a great protagonist and interesting character interactions (not to mention the great battle system). Bethesda tends to prefer the exact opposite - massive but relatively generic/procedural and minimal directed story/character development to allow for 'open ended' gameplay. And there's almost no way anybody's going to publish a turn based game now days. I don't see how this can end up as anything but Oblivion v2 in their hands. If any major contemporary studio stood a chance of doing this game justice, it would be Bioware.

On the bright side, it's bound to be a better adaptation than the pathetic mockery FASA/Microsoft have done with Shadowrun.

ilya 01-21-2007 05:27 PM

All down to the artists and writers. At least it's not the Neverwinter Nights people!

Freakin 01-21-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see good things coming from this. Fallout was really driven by a fun/interesting story, a great protagonist and interesting character interactions (not to mention the great battle system). Bethesda tends to prefer the exact opposite - massive but relatively generic/procedural and minimal directed story/character development to allow for 'open ended' gameplay. And there's almost no way anybody's going to publish a turn based game now days. I don't see how this can end up as anything but Oblivion v2 in their hands. If any major contemporary studio stood a chance of doing this game justice, it would be Bioware.

On the bright side, it's bound to be a better adaptation than the pathetic mockery FASA/Microsoft have done with Shadowrun.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just died a little inside thinking of what could have been....